Can you get HIV if the condom breaks during sex?

Q. Condom broke while having protected vaginal sex. Can I get HIV?

Answered by
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 26 year old male. I had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker 15 days back. However, the condom broke and I ejaculated inside her. I asked her whether she was HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) positive and she said no. But, I cannot trust her. I have been having chills all over my body since yesterday. I was told by the HIV helpline to do the DNA PCR (Deoxyribo Nucleic acid polymerase chain reaction) test on the 21st day. What are the chances of me being HIV positive? Should I be worried about the chills? I have never had such chills before, especially in the legs and hands. I am panic. What should I do? Please suggest


Hello, Welcome to

The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by single unprotected intercourse is very low that is 1/200 to 1/1000. Condom tear can be almost similar to unprotected intercourse. If she is negative, then no problem. You can get her tested or you can go for human immunodeficiency virus 1 and 2 polymerase chain reaction (HIV-1 and 2 RNA PCR) after 10 days to allay your anxiety. The symptoms are non-specific and may not be due to HIV. It may be due to any simple infection or anxiety.

Hello doctor,

I had the RNA PCR (Ribonucleic acid polymerase chain reaction) test as you suggested and it came back negative. I have the following doubts. Does a negative RNA PCR after 10 days of exposure mean I have nothing to worry about? Is the test result accurate just after 10 days of exposure? Do I need to do any confirmatory test after a few days again? Please guide.


Hi, Welcome back to

HIV PCR (Human Immunodeficiency Virus Polymerase chain reaction) is a sensitive test (99%) after 10 days. With the given history, it is almost conclusive. But, it would be better to go for HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) 1 and 2 antibodies tests after three months to have conclusive results. The chance of test coming positive later is almost nil.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the frequency to do HIV testing while taking PEP?

.. to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who ha   Read full

Please explain about the CMIA test for HIV testing.

.. the specific answers for your questions. CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of exposu   Read full

What are the risk factors of sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

.. herpes is a sexually transmitted virus. It spreads with contact with an infected person. It can lead to oro-genital infective lesions. To prevent it, avoid any kind of sexual contact with the infected person especially when the person is having active   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.