Q. Condom broke while having protected vaginal sex. Can I get HIV?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 18, 2020

I am a 26 year old male. I had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker 15 days back. However, the condom broke and I ejaculated inside her. I asked her whether she was HIV positive and she said no. But, I cannot trust her. I have been having chills all over my body since yesterday. I was told by the HIV helpline to do the DNA PCR test on the 21st day. What are the chances of me being HIV positive? Should I be worried about the chills? I have never had such chills before, especially in the legs and hands. I am panic. What should I do? Please suggest

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

• The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by single unprotected intercourse is very low that is 1/200 to 1/1000.
  • Condom tear can be almost similar to unprotected intercourse. If she is negative, then no problem.
  • You can get her tested or you can go for human immunodeficiency virus 1 and 2 polymerase chain reaction (HIV-1 and 2 RNA PCR) after 10 days to allay your anxiety.
  • The symptoms are non-specific and may not be due to HIV. It may be due to any simple infection or anxiety.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

I had the RNA PCR test as you suggested and it came back negative. I have the following doubts. Does a negative RNA PCR after 10 days of exposure mean I have nothing to worry about? Is the test result accurate just after 10 days of exposure? Do I need to do any confirmatory test after a few days again? Please guide.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

• HIV PCR is a sensitive test (99%) after 10 days. With the given history, it is almost conclusive.
  • But, it would be better to go for HIV 1 and 2 antibodies tests after three months to have conclusive results.
  • The chance of test coming positive later is almost nil.

For further doubts consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now