Q. Is surgery mandatory for breast cancer after chemotherapy?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 02, 2019

I need a second opinion on getting a surgery done for breast cancer after chemotherapy.

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Welcome to ilciniq.com.

There is are multifilament lesion (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest total mastectomy, which is complete removal of the breast. The chances of recurrence will be low in this approach.

What will happen if we get it partially removed? Will radiation help after this surgery?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Yes, even this is also a right approach, but in case of full removal, radiation may not be required. Both methods have equally good results. Sometimes it depends on patient choice, chances of recurrence are slightly less in full removal of the breast. So little more benefit but not much of difference.

Related Video

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first¬†cycle...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rakesh Mittal
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Diarrhea could be due to surgery or chemotherapy or both. Normally, the patients should not have this much diarrhea. If it remains uncontrolled, you may have to stop chemotherapy for some days.Weight loss is common in this condition. After chemotherapy, he should be fine. A...  Read Full

What do you think about GemCarbo chemotherapy?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma. She was having trouble breathing due to pleural fluid buildup. As per our oncologist's suggestion we have started Gemcitabine-Carboplatin chemotherapy before 10 days. The suggested course of treatment is six cycles of chemothera...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your anxiety. By the EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor) not been successful, do you mean that the test was not positive for mutations or it could not be performed due to inadequacy of the sample? Please clarify. Starting EGFR inhibitors in the absenc...  Read Full

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now