Q. Do my X-rays show the beginnings of asthma or COPD?

Dr. Abaranam
Published on Jul 16, 2018

I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday in the emergency room. Felt very weak and difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. Today very breathless when talking. Do these X-rays show the beginnings of asthma, COPD, emphysema, chronic bronchitis? Currently, I am taking Budesonide (inhale) and Acetylcysteine, Levaquin.

Dr. Abaranam

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

These X-rays show dilatation of your airways (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From X-ray, we cannot confirm the diagnosis. To differentiate asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you need to do a spirometry testing. That will confirm the diagnosis. Take care.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Will bronchitis clear up or is this permanent? Will the airways go back to normal once bronchitis clears up?

Dr. Abaranam

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

1. If the bronchitis is acute in nature, it will clear up. If you have more than 4 to 6 attacks per year, we call it as chronic. If chronic, there will be a recurrence.
  2. That depends on the diagnosis. Acute bronchitis- airway will become normal. In asthma and COPD, you can control the disease of the airway. Cannot make the airway normal.

I was diagnosed with bronchitis in ER. Is it the correct diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis today in the emergency room. I felt very weak and had difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor's appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. I have attached my reports. Do you se...  Read Full »

Is it normal to feel tired and sleepy when recovering from bronchitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am recovering from bronchitis and a viral infection. I had high fever and cough, but not much sputum. I took Cefoprim antibiotics. It has been two weeks now. I still have a cough and feeling very tired. I also feel very sleepy. Please tell me if this is expected.  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now