Q. I have severe heartburn with breathing difficulty, gas pain and burping. Why do I get this?

Dr. Rajesh Bansari
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2020

I have severe heartburn, difficulty in breathing, gas pain, and burping. Please suggest.

Dr. Rajesh Bansari

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I can understand your troubles regarding heart burn and difficulty breathing. You are having GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease), and indigestion.

Obesity, smoking, drugs, pregnancy.

CBC (complete blood couont).
TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormones).
EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy).

H.Pylori infection.

GERD. Dyspepsia.

Capsule Esomeperazole 40 mg 1-0-1 before 30 minutes of meal for 10 days then follow me. Syrup Gaviscon 20 ml after every meal.

Maintain a healthy weight. Excess pounds put pressure on your abdomen, pushing up your stomach and causing acid to reflux into your esophagus. Stop smoking. Smoking decreases the lower esophageal sphincter's ability to function properly. Elevate the head of your bed. If you regularly experience heartburn while trying to sleep, place wood or cement blocks under the feet of your bed so that the head end is raised by 6 to 9 inches. If you cannot elevate your bed, you can insert a wedge between your mattress and box spring to elevate your body from the waist up. Raising your head with additional pillows is not effective. Do not lie down after a meal. Wait at least three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed. Eat food slowly and chew thoroughly. Put down your fork after every bite and pick it up again once you have chewed and swallowed that bite. Avoid foods and drinks that trigger reflux. Common triggers include fatty or fried foods, tomato sauce, alcohol, chocolate, mint, garlic, onion, and caffeine. Avoid tight-fitting clothing. Clothes that fit tightly around your waist put pressure on your abdomen and the lower esophageal sphincter.

Follow after seven days.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

How to Treat Heartburn?

Article Overview: The burning sensation in the chest due to acid regurgitating into the esophagus is called heartburn. Learn the causes, treatment, and prevention of heartburn. Read Article

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Usually at night, we may feel a sour liquid in our throat coming from beneath or burning sensation in our upper tummy. The pain goes up through our chest to the throat. Sometimes we fear it as a heart attack. This is called heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in medical terms. How D...  Read Article

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

How to confirm whether my cough is due to Covid-19?

Query: Hello doctor, I get a cough for the last few days, which is heavy during night times. No raise in temperature but feeling tired with no travel history. No contact with any Covid-19 persons. It has been four to five days and has drunk a lot of Benadryl and took Paracetamol too. Doctors have shut the...  Read Full »