Q. I have severe heartburn with breathing difficulty, gas pain and burping. Why do I get this?

Dr. Rajesh Bansari
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2020

I have severe heartburn, difficulty in breathing, gas pain, and burping. Please suggest.

#

I can understand your troubles regarding heart burn and difficulty breathing. You are having GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease), and indigestion.

Obesity, smoking, drugs, pregnancy.

CBC (complete blood couont).
TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormones).
EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy).

H.Pylori infection.

GERD. Dyspepsia.

Capsule Esomeperazole 40 mg 1-0-1 before 30 minutes of meal for 10 days then follow me. Syrup Gaviscon 20 ml after every meal.

Maintain a healthy weight. Excess pounds put pressure on your abdomen, pushing up your stomach and causing acid to reflux into your esophagus. Stop smoking. Smoking decreases the lower esophageal sphincter's ability to function properly. Elevate the head of your bed. If you regularly experience heartburn while trying to sleep, place wood or cement blocks under the feet of your bed so that the head end is raised by 6 to 9 inches. If you cannot elevate your bed, you can insert a wedge between your mattress and box spring to elevate your body from the waist up. Raising your head with additional pillows is not effective. Do not lie down after a meal. Wait at least three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed. Eat food slowly and chew thoroughly. Put down your fork after every bite and pick it up again once you have chewed and swallowed that bite. Avoid foods and drinks that trigger reflux. Common triggers include fatty or fried foods, tomato sauce, alcohol, chocolate, mint, garlic, onion, and caffeine. Avoid tight-fitting clothing. Clothes that fit tightly around your waist put pressure on your abdomen and the lower esophageal sphincter.

Follow after seven days.

|