Q. Why do I have severe cough, thick mucus, and body aches months after COVID recovery?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 11, 2021 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2021

I have bronchitis, and I am experiencing severe cough, thick mucus expectoration, and severe body ache. I recovered from a severe COVID infection few months ago. I have attached my x-ray. I am currently taking tablets Pulmocef, Montel LC, Concor 5 mg, and Pulmoclear syrup.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from severe cough with thick mucus formation and body aches. You had a history of COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease-2019) infection, hypertension, and obesity.

According to your recent CT (computed tomography) report, you have right basal bronchiectasis with secondary infection in the right lung (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Bronchiectasis is a lung disease where the lungs' airways become permanently dilated or widened, making the lungs more prone to infection. In case of an infection, the bronchi can be damaged again, so more mucus may be produced, and the severity of infection may increase.

To prevent the progress of secondary infections, antibiotics should be started. It is good that you are already on antibiotics like Pulmocef (Cefuroxime). So, continue your current medications.

Take care.

|