Q. Does cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat in a cocaine user mean cancer?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
Published on Jan 05, 2019

I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes me feel irritated in my throat again. Only used cocaine twice in last two months 1 g each. I will stop completely as am almost there on my withdrawal. I saw another doctor, she did all TSD tests and it was all clean. I got a bacterial infection in the throat so, I do salt and hot water gargling. The symptoms are less than before but I am still worried about my coughing. I am afraid of cancer as I had taken chemotherapy two years ago for histiocytosis X. Any suggestions, please.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have attached shows slightly enlarged tonsils with granular pharyngitis. There is nothing to worry. Your symptoms are due to chronic irritation of your throat which could be due to rhinosinusitis or reflux or recurrent tonsillar infection. Chronic throat irritation is a cause of a chronic cough.

If I still used allergy pills and nasal for a few weeks with a saltwater gargle, it should be fine? Or do I need antibiotics?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You do not need antibiotics. Take antireflux medications and antihistamines, that is, anti-allergy medications. You can also use warm saline or Chlorhexidine gargles.

Why do I have flesh-colored bumps in my throat?

Query: Hello doctor,I have these painless slightly raised pinkish flesh colored bumps in my throat. I do not know if it is normal or something. Is there any need to worry? Currently, I am taking Minocycline, Levothyroxine, and Sprintec 28.  Read Full »

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

Can cocaine affect sperm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I had one wild night where we did several lines of cocaine. I have not done it before. And now my wife is pregnant. I have read studies that cocaine use in men prior to impregnation can cause birth defects, etc. Has this one night seven to eight weeks prior cau...  Read Full »