Q. Does cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat in a cocaine user mean cancer?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes me feel irritated in my throat again. Only used cocaine twice in last two months 1 g each. I will stop completely as am almost there on my withdrawal. I saw another doctor, she did all TSD tests and it was all clean. I got a bacterial infection in the throat so, I do salt and hot water gargling. The symptoms are less than before but I am still worried about my coughing. I am afraid of cancer as I had taken chemotherapy two years ago for histiocytosis X. Any suggestions, please.

#

The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have attached shows slightly enlarged tonsils with granular pharyngitis. There is nothing to worry. Your symptoms are due to chronic irritation of your throat which could be due to rhinosinusitis or reflux or recurrent tonsillar infection. Chronic throat irritation is a cause of a chronic cough.

If I still used allergy pills and nasal for a few weeks with a saltwater gargle, it should be fine? Or do I need antibiotics?

#

You do not need antibiotics. Take antireflux medications and antihistamines, that is, anti-allergy medications. You can also use warm saline or Chlorhexidine gargles.

|