Cough With Phlegm

My son took antibiotic for fever before 20 days. Should I give him antibiotic again for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 10 years old. He had cough and low-grade fever. Five days later, I showed him to a pediatrician. She advised Augmentin 625 mg, Mucolite and Duolin nebulizer. The next day my son has symptoms of reaction with Augmentin like diarrhea. So my doctor switched to Azee 250 mg. After 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your 10-year-old son had a cough and fever which required Augmentin and nebulization, this means that the child has got wheezing with lower respiratory tract infection. Augmentin contains Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid which may cause diarrhea in some children so righ...  Read Full »

What are the conditions that cause persistent cough with phlegm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having persistent cough with phlegm for the last four months. I also have fatigue. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Abilify, Topamax, Baclofen, Lorazepam and Trazodone. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Here I would like to tell you about the causes of persistent cough with phlegm. These are: Rhinitis and Rhinosinusitis. Chronic tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis. Chronic bronchitis. Bronchiectasis. Pulmonary tuberculosis. Malignant pathology...  Read Full »

I experience chest congestion with heaviness and constant cough. Will smoking be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chest congestion with heaviness in chest. I also have a constant cough with sputum. I am not taking any medication at present for this. Could this be due to smoking?  Read Full »

Dr. Noushin Payravi

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your cough and chest congestion is probably due to bronchitis (smoking can be the underlying reason however, at the moment you are experiencing a phase of exacerbation due to infection or an allergic reaction). I would like to know about the onset of your symptoms an...  Read Full »

How long will runny nose, cough and sore throat last?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 16-year-old female and not pregnant. I have a runny nose, mucus, cough, sore and swollen throat, what seems to be liquid in my ears (can hear pulsating), my face is achy, and headaches. I always experience sinus infections usually accompanied by strep throat around this time of...  Read Full »

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns. The symptoms you have described suggestive of simple ARI (acute respiratory tract infection). There is no need to worry as it can be completely cured by timely treatment and chances for the complica...  Read Full »

Why does my cough problem with breathing difficulty continue after taking medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having this problem for more than two months. I have severe cough, the whole day I used to spit phlegm normally and suddenly dry cough starts mostly in the night. I face difficulty in breathing and less spitting of phlegm. My blood test report shows AEC 532 cells/mL. ESR-07 ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many patients come to me with similar complaints. Especially during the winter season when it is windy. As per your description, you seem to suffer from bronchitis. The presence of thick phlegm indicates it is a bacterial infection. The values of hemoglobin, ESR (e...  Read Full »

Are x-ray chest, CT chest ant PFT results reliaible to rule out lung cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a smoking history of three years. Three months back there were a few blood drops were there in the phlegm while clearing the throat. Out of curiosity I had few like chest x-ray, chest CT scan with contrast (lymph nodes were there but in CT reports it was written like no signific...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through your case, I do not think there is something to worry about the possibility of lung cancer as it can be just a smoker's bronchitis. As you said, you do not have any symptoms at present and all the tests including x-ray CT (computed tomography) and...  Read Full »

What could be the reason when an elderly person throws up with cold and chill?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather is 92 years old. He had been throwing up with cold chills, hot flashes, coughing up lots of phlegm, sore throat, back, and stomach pain. But there is no fever. What should we do? What could it be?  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through your query I must admit that the first possibility is of pneumonia or lower respiratory tract infection. As he is having all signs of pneumonia other than fever. It should be ruled out with a chest x-ray and complete blood count. With the advanc...  Read Full »

I coughed up worm-like mucus. Can it be a sign of worm cast in the right lung?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with flu five days back, it started with a productive cough and then progressed to body aches and fever. Body aches and high fever lasted for about 24 to 36 hours, but I have a constant low-grade fever. I started to feel better after three days, but the coughing was so...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is just phlegm and nothing else. Do not worry, such kind of a productive cough is common in viral bronchitis. Your treatment is going right. I would just suggest the addition of a bronchodilator syru...  Read Full »

Shall I take Amoxicillin for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, Four weeks ago, I had a cold and chest infection. I self-treated with Amoxicillin and it was resolved. Now, I am getting cough with slight wheeze. Also, it is a productive cough with green sputum. Shall I try Amoxicillin again? I am regularly on Citalopram and Micronor.  Read Full »

Dr. Md. Kais Haider Chowdhury

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have recurrent infection, I would suggest to do investigations first. Currently, I suggest tablet Amoxicillin plus Clavulanic acid (Co-amoxiclav) 625 mg three times a day for seven days.   Read Full »

I have cough with yellow mucus and X-ray shows hazy sinus. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a cough with yellow mucus for a few weeks now along with what I presume a stuffy nose. A few days back I was given an antibiotic for it. The problem I am dealing with apart from the cough is night sweats. I have performed multiple tests today, results are attached but the s...  Read Full »

Dr. Magesh T

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your symptoms and I also went through your laboratory investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It shows increased neutrophil count and your hemoglobin looks normal. What I feel is that you are having sinusitis. So, in that infection of sin...  Read Full »