Cough With Phlegm

What should I do to help my chest congestion and productive cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had chest congestion and coughing up sticky white phlegm for the past few months. My COVID-19 test is negative. No history of asthma. The only thing that has helped has been at first Alvesco and now Symbicort. Suppose I go off these inhalers, the phlegm increases. I take Symbicort...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. Constant irritation in the throat with productive cough can be attributed to two major reasons. Allergic issues in the nose, wherein there is some irritative substance entering thereby nose initially produces...  Read Full »

Should I go back to the doctor for my cough and wheezing?

Query: Hi doctor, I was coughing up dark yellow mucus with blood streaks. So, I went to my doctor and she prescribed Keflex. After about two days, I broke out a rash from head to toe. So, I went back and she put me on Roxithromycin and three days of Prednisolone. I am on my second day of new antibiotics an...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The asthmatic attack might be due to the drug allergy, which you might have had. I suggest you to get a sputum culture to identify which antibiotic suits. Also, I suggest you to take nebulization with Asthalin which will ease the breathing. My suggestion for you to be und...  Read Full »

Why do I have traces of blood in phlegm?

Query: Before 15 days, i was driving my motorcycle when i got caught up in a rain. i get a bit soaked before i got home and i stayed in my air conditioned room for hours without taking off or changing clothes and getting dried. later that night i felt like i had tonsillitis as my throat felt bad. the next ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dwipannita Kalita

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, From what you have mentioned in your query, I guess your main concern is regarding the phlegm which you are not able to expectorate and also noticing some blood in it. The blood in your sputum is most probably due the forceful cough reflex. You have already completed your antibiotics course and...  Read Full »

Will I remain COVID-19 positive for the rest of my life?

Query: Hi doctor,I just got a cover pos result. I was fatigued for two weeks with a productive cough-breath. X-ray and fever are normal. I need to be quarantined for one week after that. What should I do? Retest after three weeks? Will I be positive for the rest of my life?  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. What do you mean by cover pos? Did you mean COVID-19 positive? Can you please send me your reports? I will check and let you know. No, you will not be positive for the entire life. Please tell me what symptoms do you...  Read Full »

How is the cause of breathing difficulty and blood in sputum diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is experiencing breathing difficulty, which relieves by inhaler, and O2 saturation is 93 to 95. The patient coughs out phlegm with blood and has no fever. He is negative for COVID-19 and TB. He has pain in the back and right arm. I want someone to reread the CT scan. He has a...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from difficulties breathing, productive cough with phlegm, and blood. Your HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the chest has shown a mass-like consolidati...  Read Full »

Can a runny nose, cough with phlegm, and red spots on the back be early HIV symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex two weeks ago with somebody I do not know that well. I am bunged up with a runny nose at times these two weeks, my neck hurts, and I have a cough with phlegm. There are a few red spots on my back, and now I am petrified that I have early HIV symptoms.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the query. These are non-specific symptoms. The transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by unprotected intercourse with an HIV positive person is low. HIV is diagnosed with tests. Go for HIV 1 and 2 RNA QN PCR at this stage and HIV antibodies t...  Read Full »

Is lung biopsy needed to diagnose bronchiectasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report¬†for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extre...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CT scan report is suggestive of cylindrical bronchiectasis with some infective foci. Usually, the diagnosis of bronchiectasis is made on the HRCT thorax (high-resolution computed tomography) and there is no need of any lung biopsy. Bronchiectasis is due to some ol...  Read Full »

Throat irritation with phlegm is not improving with medications. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a few inquiries about my current situation. I was suffering from this white phlegm in my throat for six months that bothers me, especially when sleeping. I consulted an ENT online who said that I was suffering from laryngopharyngeal reflux, and she prescribed me antacids and PPI...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the detailed history and attaching pictures (attachment removed to protect identity). As you mentioned, the previous doctor said it could be reflux. This can be true, but such a prolonged duration and still not healing suspect oral infection, which is mos...  Read Full »

What can be the cause of wheezing with dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My 8-year-old daughter had an allergy then it got worst. She began to cough with phlegm, which resolved with Mucosolvan, but she got wheezing and a dry cough and had difficulty breathing that exacerbates during the night. Still, she is fine during the day with occasional coughing. She ex...  Read Full »

Dr. Radela Yvonne Cortes

Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you have shared with me, I think your daughter has uncontrolled bronchial asthma. May I ask if she has a history of any allergy to food or medication? Does she sneeze a lot or have a running nose? Was she ever diagnosed with allergic rhinitis? For now, I sugg...  Read Full »

I am anxious about cough with phlegm, runny nose, and cold. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a concern with regards to my anxious condition. For the past few days, I have been experiencing cough with phlegm with a runny nose due to colds. I just wanted to knew what should I do. Do I need to take an antibiotic? Kindly guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement you have been suffering from itchy throat, runny nose due to colds, cough with phlegm, and headache for the past few days. You have not mentioned here about the color of your phlegm. If the whitish color of phl...  Read Full »