Cough With Phlegm

Why does my cough problem with breathing difficulty continue after taking medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having this problem for more than two months. I have severe cough, the whole day I used to spit phlegm normally and suddenly dry cough starts mostly in the night. I face difficulty in breathing and less spitting of phlegm. My blood test report shows AEC 532 cells/mL. ESR-07 ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many patients come to me with similar complaints. Especially during the winter season when it is windy. As per your description, you seem to suffer from bronchitis. The presence of thick phlegm indicates it is a bacterial infection. The values of hemoglobin, ESR (e...  Read Full »

Are x-ray chest, CT chest ant PFT results reliaible to rule out lung cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a smoking history of three years. Three months back there were a few blood drops were there in the phlegm while clearing the throat. Out of curiosity I had few like chest x-ray, chest CT scan with contrast (lymph nodes were there but in CT reports it was written like no signific...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through your case, I do not think there is something to worry about the possibility of lung cancer as it can be just a smoker's bronchitis. As you said, you do not have any symptoms at present and all the tests including x-ray CT (computed tomography) and...  Read Full »

What could be the reason when an elderly person throws up with cold and chill?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather is 92 years old. He had been throwing up with cold chills, hot flashes, coughing up lots of phlegm, sore throat, back, and stomach pain. But there is no fever. What should we do? What could it be?  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through your query I must admit that the first possibility is of pneumonia or lower respiratory tract infection. As he is having all signs of pneumonia other than fever. It should be ruled out with a chest x-ray and complete blood count. With the advanc...  Read Full »

I coughed up worm-like mucus. Can it be a sign of worm cast in the right lung?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with flu five days back, it started with a productive cough and then progressed to body aches and fever. Body aches and high fever lasted for about 24 to 36 hours, but I have a constant low-grade fever. I started to feel better after three days, but the coughing was so...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is just phlegm and nothing else. Do not worry, such kind of a productive cough is common in viral bronchitis. Your treatment is going right. I would just suggest the addition of a bronchodilator syru...  Read Full »

Shall I take Amoxicillin for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, Four weeks ago, I had a cold and chest infection. I self-treated with Amoxicillin and it was resolved. Now, I am getting cough with slight wheeze. Also, it is a productive cough with green sputum. Shall I try Amoxicillin again? I am regularly on Citalopram and Micronor.  Read Full »

Dr. Md. Kais Haider Chowdhury

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have recurrent infection, I would suggest to do investigations first. Currently, I suggest tablet Amoxicillin plus Clavulanic acid (Co-amoxiclav) 625 mg three times a day for seven days.   Read Full »

I have cough with yellow mucus and X-ray shows hazy sinus. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a cough with yellow mucus for a few weeks now along with what I presume a stuffy nose. A few days back I was given an antibiotic for it. The problem I am dealing with apart from the cough is night sweats. I have performed multiple tests today, results are attached but the s...  Read Full »

Dr. Magesh T

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your symptoms and I also went through your laboratory investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It shows increased neutrophil count and your hemoglobin looks normal. What I feel is that you are having sinusitis. So, in that infection of sin...  Read Full »

I have breathing problem with tightness in lungs. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a breathing problem. I feel like something has tightened my lungs. Please advice what should I do.  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. See if you do not have any other symptoms like fever, cough with sputum and pain in the chest, etc. Then you can take steam of plain water and can add two to three drops of eucalyptus oil in it. It will help you. But if you feel some serious pro...  Read Full »

I have severe cold and cough with green color phlegm. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a severe cough and cold. When coughing green color phlegm is occurring. I am using Benydryl syrup now.  Read Full »

Dr. Sumaiya Jamil

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have a fever? Since how long you have these symptoms? A headache? Facial pain? A cough and cold could be viral which will need only symptomatic treatment or if it is severe you might need antibiotics. Treatment includes having a lot of warm water and to avoid col...  Read Full »

Why do I have a bloody spot near the back of my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some issues with my throat from the past couple of months. I feel a tightness in the neck. I do not have a runny nose, but I have post-nasal drip and lots of phlegm or mucus in the mornings. I feel like I need to clear my throat a lot. The symptoms seemed to go away fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see inflamed and enlarged tonsils with a congested posterior pharyngeal wall (back of the throat). A post-nasal drip running for a couple of months suggests some sinonasal inflammation as...  Read Full »

My cough is persisting in spite of antibiotics. What do you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a cough since 15 days. There is phlegm as well. I tried using so many syrups, antibiotics and Levocetirizine with Montelukast. The X-ray and CBP (complete blood picture) are normal. But, the cough is still persisting and troubling me. What do you suggest?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have a cough from two weeks along with expectoration. You have taken antibiotics and antiallergic medicines, but you have not mentioned the name of the antibiotic which you have taken. I would suggest a few things: Any person wit...  Read Full »