Q. Is it normal to get brown discharge just before periods?

I am 22 years old. I have to get my periods this week. But I am getting black or brown discharge. Is this normal?

Do you have a question on Brown Discharge or Hormonal Imbalance?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MS (OBS/GYNAE)., FMAS., DMAS., FELLOWSHIP IS ASSISTED REPRODUCTIVE TECHNIQUES
Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

It is known as irregular shedding. It is caused due to stress-induced hormonal imbalances during a cycle. You have to do an ultrasound pelvis to check endometrial thickness. If the endometrial thickness is less than 8 mm, then you can have a progesterone deficiency. It needs to be evaluated soon.

Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?
Query: Hello doctor, My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later w...  Read Full »
Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think the doctor has advised copper-T. I think she would have advised intrauterine hormonal device called LNG (Levonorgestrel) which contains hormone progesterone. It will regularise the cycles and control heavy flow and need not take oral medicines. It is up ...  Read Full »

Will using Restreta tablet for three months cause hormonal imbalance?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old girl. I have very dry and dull skin. My dermatologist recommended me to use Restreta tablet for improving my complexion. I have to take it twice in a day before a meal. I want to know whether there will be any hormonal imbalance because of this tablet. Is it safe fo...  Read Full »
Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Restreta (Glutathione, Collagen, and L-cysteine) contains Glutathione which is an antioxidant. It effectively prevents melanin synthesis in the skin which helps in skin lightening. It is available in oral and injection form. Oral capsules do not produce much of a cha...  Read Full »

I am getting persistent brownish vaginal discharge. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am not sexually active, but I am getting brown discharge over a month from my last periods. Yesterday my periods started and that is also thick black discharge. Why?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.The presence of brownish discharge throughout your cycle indicates a possible progesterone deficiency.You need to get your day 3 and day 21 progesterone levels done. If they are low, then you would have to be placed on cyclical progesterone therapy from day 11 to day 25 ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now