Q. I have brown discharges after my period and felt a big chunk of something inside my vagina. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

I am a 19-year-old female, who is sexually active with a male, but it has been a month and some weeks since we last did anything. Usually, after my period, I have brown discharges. I have had it, but yesterday I felt up inside my vagina and felt a big chunk of something. I pulled it out, and it looked like shedding or something. I went to the gynecologist a month ago, and she felt around and said everything felt fine. I am just confused and anxious.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have posted. I want to assure you that you are fine, but a few things need to be evaluated. As your gynecologist has already felt and examined you, there is nothing much to worry about. What you have been experiencing could be a postmenstrual spotting, which could be a hormonal disturbances issue or maybe even due to some polyps which may not be felt on examination. I would like to know if you get your periods regularly and experience any unhealthy vaginal discharge. And how many days do you think you have this brownish discharge? Does the brownish discharge appear after sexual intercourse? The picture you posted gives the impression that it could be just the vaginal discharge mixed with a minimal quantity of blood (due to hormonal disturbances or may be due to some structural causes like polyp, etc.). You can ask your gynecologist for an Ultrasound if this problem is persistent after every cycle. Also, check for your hormonal levels like Prolactin and thyroid profile if you experience irregular periods. I hope this information helps you; please feel free to revert anytime for any further queries or information.

Take care.

- Avoid weight gain.
- Regular exercises at least one hour daily.

| 

Thank you for your reply.

I do get my periods regularly, and my discharge is usually normal. It is usually brown after a few days because of the old blood, but then it disappears. No, the discharge does not happen after sex. This is the first time something like this has happened. That is why I was concerned.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yeah, so based on the details, I feel there is not anything abnormal with your issue. Sometimes midcycle spotting may happen around the time of your ovulation, due to the hormonal changes that occur around the time of ovulation. Make a diary of this event; maybe that can help you figure out if there is a set pattern, mainly if it occurs around 13 to 14 days before your upcoming periods. If this happens, then it is due to the same thing I have mentioned above, that is the ovulation time spot. Just keep a track, and see this reappears in the next cycle too, and around which day of your cycle this brown discharge happens (counting the starting day of your periods as day one). If this problem occurs repeatedly and also on random days, then you can get it evaluated.

Have a great day. Take care.

|