Q. I delivered my first child two months ago,with C-section. When can I plan my next child?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2019

I delivered my first child two months ago, with C-section. I got my first period after delivery, yesterday. My child is only on breastfeeding. I want to know when can I start exercising, light as well as proper gym in order to get back to shape. I want to know till when do we need to be on sexual abstinence. Also, when can I plan my next child?

#

As it has been more than 9 weeks post delivery already, you can start your light abdominal toning exercises if your pain has completely subsided. Generally, we tell the mother to avoid exercising for 6 weeks till strength is achieved over the c-section scar. Do not lift weights for at least 6 months.

As your menses have resumed, even though you have been breastfeeding, you may get pregnant as ovulation may start if sexual activity is resumed now. You can safely resume sexual activity now if there has been no pain over the scar. Next child should ideally be planned after an interval of 3 years. So it is suggested that you should be practicing contraception, be it barrier or hormonal to avoid unwanted conception hence.

Wishing you good health.

|