Q. My wife has gained weight post pregnancy. How to reduce it?

Dr. Sanchari Majumder
Published on Jan 02, 2017

My wife is 20 years old. Her weight is 59.5 kg and height is 4'9". Our baby is 15 months. His diet includes breastfeeding and solid food. My wife has post pregnancy overweight, especially in belly, buttocks and thighs. She eats a lot, but feels tired, exhausted and sleepy.

Dr. Sanchari Majumder

Dietician Nutritionist
#

• Firstly, you should do proper diagnosis of your wife. This problem may be due to stress, hyperthyroid and vitamin D deficiency.
  • Proper diet with exercise help your wife to make her body reshape if the above tests are normal.
  • You did not mention the type of delivery. Is it normal or cesarean. If it was a cesarean, then avoid heavy exercises.
  • I give her a diet chart and alternate foods are also mentioned. Please ask her to follow the diet for a month.
  1. Early morning - 1 glass of plain water or sattu water or green tea without sugar and biscuit.
  2. Breakfast - Sago porridge 1 bowl or brown bread and egg white one or vegetable soup 1 bowl.
  3. Mid morning - 1 apple or orange.
  4. Lunch - 1 glass of water and salad half plate or a cup of rice with vegetable curry or fish or chicken or egg one piece or dal water 1 bowl and sour curd. 
  5. Evening - vegetable stew and green tea 
  6. Dinner - 2 glasses of water and spinach roti or rice 1 cup with vegetable curry.
  • My advise is to take two glasses of water before lunch and dinner. Do light exercise or yoga or morning walk or brisk water for 30 minutes.
  • Please avoid oily foods, junk foods, spicy foods, chocolate, soft drinks and alcohol. Avoid stress as well.

For further information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

| 

The delivery was cesarean. Her thyroid test was normal. She is taking non-hormonal contraceptive pills.

Dr. Sanchari Majumder

Dietician Nutritionist
#

• Ask her to follow the low calorie diet chart and do a brisk walk for 30 minutes.

| 

Please suggest yoga asanas that would improve blood flow to testicles.

Query: Hi doctor, Please suggest me the yoga names to improve blood flow to the testicles. I have weak erections, watery semen, and loss of libido. I am taking Pantogem DSR for indigestion and Stalopam plus for stress. My local doctor prescribed these medicines.  Read Full »

I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

Query: Hi doctor,While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medi...  Read Full »

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »

Ask a Dietician Now