Q. My wife has gained weight post pregnancy. How to reduce it?

Dr. Sanchari Majumder
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 22, 2021

My wife is 20 years old. Her weight is 59.5 kg and height is 4'9". Our baby is 15 months. His diet includes breastfeeding and solid food. My wife has post pregnancy overweight, especially in belly, buttocks and thighs. She eats a lot, but feels tired, exhausted and sleepy.

#

• Firstly, you should do proper diagnosis of your wife. This problem may be due to stress, hyperthyroid and vitamin D deficiency.
  • Proper diet with exercise help your wife to make her body reshape if the above tests are normal.
  • You did not mention the type of delivery. Is it normal or cesarean. If it was a cesarean, then avoid heavy exercises.
  • I give her a diet chart and alternate foods are also mentioned. Please ask her to follow the diet for a month.
  1. Early morning - 1 glass of plain water or sattu water or green tea without sugar and biscuit.
  2. Breakfast - Sago porridge 1 bowl or brown bread and egg white one or vegetable soup 1 bowl.
  3. Mid morning - 1 apple or orange.
  4. Lunch - 1 glass of water and salad half plate or a cup of rice with vegetable curry or fish or chicken or egg one piece or dal water 1 bowl and sour curd. 
  5. Evening - vegetable stew and green tea 
  6. Dinner - 2 glasses of water and spinach roti or rice 1 cup with vegetable curry.
  • My advise is to take two glasses of water before lunch and dinner. Do light exercise or yoga or morning walk or brisk water for 30 minutes.
  • Please avoid oily foods, junk foods, spicy foods, chocolate, soft drinks and alcohol. Avoid stress as well.

For further information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

The delivery was cesarean. Her thyroid test was normal. She is taking non-hormonal contraceptive pills.

#

• Ask her to follow the low calorie diet chart and do a brisk walk for 30 minutes.

|