Q. Is there any way to avoid tightening of calf muscles?

Dr. Manel Silva
Published on Feb 12, 2019

I feel like my calf muscles are gonna pull and I want to prevent it. It does not hurt, but I can feel the tightness. What should I do to stop this? I am scared.

Dr. Manel Silva

#

This sounds like calf tightness, but it may be a few other things that are more concerning. If the tightness is only in one calf, you need to get follow up, especially if you are on birth control or have another risk for blood clots. Depending on your age, you may be at risk for problems with your blood vessels that can cause calf pain when walking.

Calf tightness is very common especially in athletes and in women who wear high heels and is usually from overuse of muscles that have not been stretched properly, causing inflammation and tired muscles. For treatment, I suggest starting with a massage to the area, which can include rolling your calves on a foam roller or even a small ball. There are specific trigger points that are particularly helpful in treating the knot in your muscles. Do this for several minutes a few times a day.

For treatment and prevention, research a few calf stretching exercises and do those several times a day as well. Another important thing for sore muscles is hydration and electrolyte repletion. If you are doing exercise, remember to stretch for 15 to 20 minutes before and after, and ice your calves after exercise. Finding out if your tightness is more due to inflammation or fatigue can be helpful in guiding a more personalized treatment plan, but would require more questions. Also, it would help figure out if you may also have a strain or even small tears that would need to be treated more carefully.

Delayed onset of a muscle disorder, muscle strain.

Apart from anti-inflammatory medicine, what should I do for plantar fasciitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I am having swollen feet despite taking anti-inflammatory medications. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not know what anti-inflammatory medicines you were taking, but you need to take the correct medicines and the main treatment of plantar fasciitis is stretching exercises. When the pain reduces, you have to do calf stretching exercises to reduce the pain of plant...  Read Full

What is the reason for pain following a plantar fascia release surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had plantar fascia release surgery three months ago and my doctor released me to work even though I was supposed to get one more x-ray. After getting the second X-ray, he said the x-ray looks good. But, still I am in a lot of pain. Also, the pain has spread to the outside of my foot al...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, you do not need a second opinion. The surgery is done, but you still have some tenosynovitis of the other tendons, which has to come down. Also, it is very likely that you have a flat foot due to the tenosynovitis of the posterior tibialis tendon. So, I suggest you th...  Read Full

Is using one crutch 75 % or 50 % weight bearing after a hip arthroscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am down to one crutch after a hip arthroscopy. I am supposed to be at 75 % weight bearing. Is using one crutch 75 % or 50 % weight bearing. Also, on day four, I am supposed to be at 100 % weight bearing with one crutch. How is that possible?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I read your concern. Weight-bearing with the crutches means the amount of body weight borne by the injured leg. And rest is been supported by crutches. Like if you were asked to bear weight up to 75 percentage, then you put the crutch forward and then put injured leg for...  Read Full