Q. What does dilated extrarenal pelvis mean?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

In my kidney ultrasound, my left kidney shows mild dilatation of calyces with dilated extrarenal pelvis of approximately 39 mm. What does it mean?

#

• The calyceal pelvic system dilatation of kidney could be due to one of the following reasons:
  1. Congenital.
  2. Focal infection of or at calyx or extrarenal pelvis of kidney.
  3. Stricture - narrowing of the neck of calyx or extrarenal pelvis.
  4. Stone impacted at the neck of extrarenal pelvis.
  • Extrarenal pelvis stone may cause obstruction to drainage of urine from the calyx into renal pelvis resulting in accumulation of urine in calyx and extrarenal pelvis causing dilatation which might lead to possibility of obstruction to excretion of urine.

For further information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

What is extrarenal pelvis? Please explain me in detail.

#

• Most part of the pelvis is inside kidney and called renal pelvis. Some part of the pelvis stays outside the kidney called extrarenal pelvis.
  • Extrarenal pelvis is normal for persons with large pelvis. An extarenal pelvis usually appears dilated on ultrasound giving a false indication of an obstructive pathology.
  • In some persons it may cause urinary tract infection, but chances are very less. So, please do not worry. It is a normal finding if not associated with any symptom.

|