Q. Please suggest an antibiotic for recurrent urinary tract infection.

Dr. Raman Tanwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2018

I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Recurrent urinary tract infections are common in post and perimenopausal women.

You need to get a urine culture and routine investigation, so that culture guided antibiotics can be given.

In these cases plenty of fluids and urine alkalizer syrups are also very helpful to alleviate symptoms.

Application of an estrogen ointment around the urinary meatus can also be highly helpful.

Tablets of Ciprofloxacin in a dose of 500 mg can be a good empirical therapy. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, get the urine culture done and take the appropriate tablet.

1. UTI.
2. Hypoestrogenemia.

Urine routine, microscopy and culture.

Culture guided antibiotics.

For further information consult a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Do these medications require a prescription?

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Yes, Ciprofloxacin will require a prescription. It is best to generate the prescription once culture results are available.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|