Q. Does taking 600 mg of tablet Tegretol instead of 200 mg considered overdose?

I have the following question about the tablet Tegretol:

I have been taking Tegretol 200 mg in the morning and 400 mg in the evening for bipolar disorder for nearly two years now. I accidentally mixed up Tegretol with my allergy medicine yesterday morning and therefore took 600 mg of Tegretol in the morning. I realized that I took tablet Tegretol instead of tablet Allegra only in the evening. I finally decided to skip the evening dose of Tegretol and returned to my original routine today morning.

I felt quite awful throughout the day, but I thought it was only a migraine attack. I now believe I have overdosed on Tegretol to some extent. Is there anything I should do about this, or can I consider the situation to be settled?

Thank you so much for being so helpful in advance.

Kind regards.

#

You do not need to worry about it. Since more than 12 hours have passed after taking 600 mg of tablet Tegretol (Carbamazepine), I do not think there is any risk of poisoning. Even at 600 mg, the drug is safe.

Kindly take plenty of water and avoid taking an overdose in the future.

Best wishes.

|