Q. I have itching all over my body since I got home. How to stop this immediately?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I was away on travel the whole of last week and I got back today. I am having itching on my body since I reached home. I took Allegra, but no benefit. This itching is happening every 15 seconds in different parts of the body like legs, arms, face, back and goes away if I itch. What can I do to stop it immediately? There is no rash.

#

1. Did you have nuts, fish or sour food before the onset of lesions?
  2. How many doses of Allegra tablet has been taken till now?
  3. Is this itching associated with wheals or hives which appear for few minutes to hours?
  4. If you scratch, does a swelling appear along the line of scratching?
  5. Is there swelling of the lips or eyes?

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I had pistachios on the flight and also a very small tuna sandwich before taking the flight. There is no swelling, rash or anything like that. It is like hives I think. It is coming in one part and then another. I had one Allegra four hours back. This kind of itching happened once two months back but went off. Also, after taking a shower, sometimes, this kind of itching happens but goes away after a while.

#

• From your history, it seems to be acute urticaria (basically allergic reaction).
  • Since you have taken tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine) in the morning, consider tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg after lunch and one after dinner. I also suggest taking tablet Rantac (Ranitidine) 150 mg twice daily before meal.
  • Apply Moisturex calm lotion over the body wherever you have itching sensation.
  • If still there is no improvement after 24 hours then sedating antihistamines can be considered at bedtime. Oral antihistamines like Levocetirizine are non-sedating. But, Cetirizine or Hydroxyzine (Atarax) are sedating.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

But there are no hives. Rather, the skin looks absolutely normal. Can it be related to food allergy or dry skin?

#

• With such a short history, the most probable cause can be a food allergy.
  • Avoid nuts and seafood for a few days.
  • Take Levocetirizine 10 mg for three to five days.
  • You should also apply moisturizer just after bath for better absorption and to avoid dry skin.

I hope it is not due to a liver or kidney problem as I read on the internet.

#

• With such a short history, it is not possible. Most likely it is an allergy.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I just took one pill of Levocetirizine and my itching got alright for two days. Today as I woke up, I have the itching again just like before on different parts of my body. I ate no nuts or fish last night. I just had a chicken roll. That is all.

#

• Just one dose would not be sufficient. You need to take a full course as I said, for seven days at least.
  • The time may extend in some patients from 15 days to even months since the exact duration for an allergic reaction to get controlled cannot be commented upon.
  • Just one dose is not enough at all. I suggest:
  1. Tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg twice a day after meal.
  2. Tablet Rantac 150 mg twice a day before a meal.
  3. Moisturex calm lotion to be applied to the body.
  • Avoid non-vegetarian food.

Thank you doctor,

I took Levocetirizine 5 mg one in the morning and one in the evening yesterday, and the itching stopped by today morning. Now, again it started. For how long should I keep taking this medicine?

#

• Yes, keep taking the medication. Do not miss any dose for 10 days minimum. You can take Levocetirizine 10 mg twice a day in this age group.
  • Tablet Rantac 150 mg twice daily before a meal.
  • If still there is recurrence after 15 days, then get a blood test for CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

Can I get a blood test tomorrow as I am anyways getting it done. Is there any allergy test that I can get done?

#

• There is no point in getting an allergy test done at this point. In case of acute urticaria, serum IgE and ESR tends to be raised.
  • To rule out an infectious cause, CBC and urine routine microscopy is to be done.
  • As I told you, acute urticaria can last up to six weeks and in chronic cases, it can last longer. This is the first episode for you.
  • Take medications regularly and if no improvement, then consider CBC with ESR and urine routine microscopy and serum IgE.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|