Cardiovascular Disease Risk

I am suffering from ED. Is it due to BP drugs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a doctor practicing in a rural area and aged 55 years. I am having high blood pressure for last seven years. My blood pressure was 180/100 mmHg before treatment and now I am on Telmisartan H 40 mg once daily. My BP fluctuates between 128 and 135 systolic to 85 and 90 diastolic. I do ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your ED (erectile dysfunction), definitely your age can be a factor. But, if ED developed suddenly, then this could be caused by anxiety. It is one of the most important causes of ED. Yes, some ARBs (angiotensin receptor blockers) can cause ED as a s...  Read Full »

No medicines seem to work for my anxiety. Can you suggest any solution?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old.I have anxiety and I am taking medications for that - Effexor XR two times a day Olanzapine 5 mg one at night. It has been now four years that I am struggling with this illness and now none of the medicine work for me. Please advice me what should I do.  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are suffering from anxiety disorder only, why do you need to take Olanzapine? Olanzapine is an antipsychotic and it has no role in anxiety. Effexor (Venlafaxine) is a good medication. You can try a simple and good medication with a low side effect like tablet ...  Read Full »

After hernia surgery, can I lift heavy weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old. My doctor said that I have an umbilical hernia. Either open surgery or laparoscopy, which would be the best? After which surgery, can I lift heavy weights? I am a sports person and a bodybuilder. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your cardiovascular status that is heart and lung functions are fine, then you can go for laparoscopic surgery. That is cosmetically better and less invasive. The scar will be much bigger in open, so chances of scar rupture and dehiscence are higher in open. The pos...  Read Full »

What does high homocysteine level indicate?

Query: Hello doctor,I have got my complete blood test check done and found out that certain tests under different heads have high values (more than the reference range). I can send you this test in soft copy format and would like to find out if there is something serious about which I should visit a hospit...  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your medical history carefully and the lab results you sent in (attachment removed to protect patient identity). High homocysteine levels are indicating that your diet is high in animal meat. This explains high triglycerides and high uric acid le...  Read Full »

My hs-CRP is high. Am I in danger?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently did a complete blood test. In the report, it was detected hs-CRP 3.8 mg. My age is 36, and my weight is 103 kg. Please advise how it can be lowered and do am in danger zone.  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are worried about your health, but no need for much worries. Your CRP (C-reactive protein) is a little increased, but it is not a particular biomarker for cardiovascular diseases. Some other factors can cause it to increase like arthritis or infection....  Read Full »

Should one worry about heart attack at the age of 32?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife had an echo, stress test, and several EKGs and a 30-day event monitor done about three and a half years ago. She still gets a slight pain in the chest area from time to time. Her grandparents were the only ones that had any heart trouble. She also has extreme health anxiety abou...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unfortunately, I got no clues on what were the results of those cardiac investigations. If possible, can you please elaborate a little bit on what was the outcome of those hearts tests you mentioned earlier? If I assume there was not much they found abnormal in the ...  Read Full »

Is there any problem with my mother's ECG?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 56 years old and weighs around 58 kg. She is having chest symptoms while walking fast and also has a cold. Her heartbeat is also little high. I got her ECG done, can you please tell if anything is wrong with the ECG?  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the ECG result attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is normal without changes. Her heart rate is also normal, and normal heart rate is 60 to 90 bpm. When you say chest symptom, do you mean chest pain? Is it accompanied b...  Read Full »

Why should we avoid oral contraceptive pills after 40 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question. Estrogen shows cardioprotective effect before menopause. But, it increases the risk of CVS diseases if taken in oral contraceptive pills. And, they say that oral contraceptive pills should be avoided after 40 years because of CVS complications. I am not getting it....  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Natural estrogen is cardioprotective as it increases the level of HDL (high-density lipoprotein) and decreases the level of LDL (low-density lipoprotein). Oxidation of LDL cholesterol is believed to be the initiator of atherosclerosis. Estradiol and other estrogens are...  Read Full »

Why was I advised to take Simvastatin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old female. My HDL is 70, LDL 207, cholesterol 288, AST 35, MPV 4.5 and monocyte auto 1.4. All my other readings in my health check are normal. My doctor has prescribed 10 mg of Simvastatin. I do not know whether I should take it or not after I read the side effects. I am ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiologist, Cardiothoracic Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reason for Simvastatin is your high LDL cholesterol level (low-density lipoprotein). This will help you. For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist  Read Full »

Can you explain the changes seen in my routine blood test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done my routine checkup and blood test. My reports show some variation in the normal range, especially in CBC, hs-CRP, vitamin D and TSH. The night before the blood test, I met with an accident and my upper skin has been ruptured. Somewhere, I read that hs-CRP may significantly...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. That was a very impressive and extensive list of investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Why do you feel anxious about having heart disease? Do you have chest pain or palpitations or shortness of breath? Do you have any family history of sudde...  Read Full »