Q. Why was I advised to take Simvastatin?

Dr. Manish N Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

I am a 55 year old female. My HDL is 70, LDL 207, cholesterol 288, AST 35, MPV 4.5 and monocyte auto 1.4. All my other readings in my health check are normal. My doctor has prescribed 10 mg of Simvastatin. I do not know whether I should take it or not after I read the side effects. I am on no other regular medicines. I exercise regularly. My height is 5'5" and weight is 140 pounds. I need your help.

#

• The reason for Simvastatin is your high LDL cholesterol level (low-density lipoprotein). This will help you.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I lack a family history of heart disease and have high good cholesterol level. I do not understand the fact that taking the statins will reduce my risk of heart attack or stroke sufficiently to warrant the side effects. Also, my liver that has always been a bit high, even though I have had tests and they find nothing wrong. I was hoping for something a little more in depth answer to help me make my decision.

#

I completely understand your dilemma.

• Your age is 55 and you must be post menopausal. The cardioprotective hormones that is estrogen and progesterone are not produced by your body.
  • Hence, you are at a higher risk for heart disease and that is why the drug. It will keep your cholesterol in check.
  • There are a few mild side effects, but they occur only on a higher dose of the drug. At this prophylactic dosing, you will not experience them.

|