Q. Why was I advised to take Simvastatin?

Dr. Manish N Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

I am a 55 year old female. My HDL is 70, LDL 207, cholesterol 288, AST 35, MPV 4.5 and monocyte auto 1.4. All my other readings in my health check are normal. My doctor has prescribed 10 mg of Simvastatin. I do not know whether I should take it or not after I read the side effects. I am on no other regular medicines. I exercise regularly. My height is 5'5" and weight is 140 pounds. I need your help.

#

• The reason for Simvastatin is your high LDL cholesterol level (low-density lipoprotein). This will help you.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I lack a family history of heart disease and have high good cholesterol level. I do not understand the fact that taking the statins will reduce my risk of heart attack or stroke sufficiently to warrant the side effects. Also, my liver that has always been a bit high, even though I have had tests and they find nothing wrong. I was hoping for something a little more in depth answer to help me make my decision.

#

I completely understand your dilemma.

• Your age is 55 and you must be post menopausal. The cardioprotective hormones that is estrogen and progesterone are not produced by your body.
  • Hence, you are at a higher risk for heart disease and that is why the drug. It will keep your cholesterol in check.
  • There are a few mild side effects, but they occur only on a higher dose of the drug. At this prophylactic dosing, you will not experience them.

| 

Can Xarelto increase AST and ALT?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Xarelto 20 mg daily for DVT from the past four weeks. My blood work shows increased AST, which is double than normal, and ALT, which is triple than normal. Should I take today's dose? I take a lot of medicines for different health conditions. I have attached the photo of my pr...  Read Full »

Is it good to avoid oral contraceptive pills after 40 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question. Estrogen shows cardioprotective effect before menopause. But, it increases the risk of CVS diseases if taken in oral contraceptive pills. And, they say that oral contraceptive pills should be avoided after 40 years because of CVS complications. I am not getting it....  Read Full »

No medicines seem to work for my anxiety. Can you suggest any solution?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old.I have anxiety and I am taking medications for that - Effexor XR two times a day Olanzapine 5 mg one at night. It has been now four years that I am struggling with this illness and now none of the medicine work for me. Please advice me what should I do.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»