Q. No medicines seem to work for my anxiety. Can you suggest any solution?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Published on May 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I am 24 years old.I have anxiety and I am taking medications for that - Effexor XR two times a day Olanzapine 5 mg one at night. It has been now four years that I am struggling with this illness and now none of the medicine work for me. Please advice me what should I do.

#

If you are suffering from anxiety disorder only, why do you need to take Olanzapine? Olanzapine is an antipsychotic and it has no role in anxiety. Effexor (Venlafaxine) is a good medication. You can try a simple and good medication with a low side effect like tablet Sertraline or tablet Escitalopram.

Olanzapine causes weight gain - hypercholesterolemia and diabetes (metabolic syndrome) after two or three years of use. Effexor is also known for its cardiovascular side effect like hypertension. I would advise you to switch over to other medications if you have only anxiety problem and no other medications have been used in the past.

Do daily exercise. Take good care of health. Avoid junk food. Have a good quality of proper sleep. Learn to do relaxation.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Is there a better medication to use long-term for generalized anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,I have GAD problem for more than two decades. Right now I am using Mirtazapine 15 mg and Rivotril 0.25 on SOS. Is there a better medication for long-term use? Previously I used Fludac 20 mg, Trazodone 25 mg and Buspar 5 mg (three times). After I shifted to Mirtaz. My problem is insuffic...  Read Full »

Suffering from generalized anxiety disorder and low self esteem. Is there any solutions?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 23 years old. I am suffering from a generalized anxiety disorder since childhood. One of the reasons for it is a physical defect I have, which makes me self-conscious. I got to know very early that something is wrong with me. I have consulted many psychiatrists and tried many medi...  Read Full »

What is Petril used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an anxiety disorder. Neuropsychiatrist prescribed me Cipralex 10 mg and Petril MD 0.5 1/2 tablet. I took Cipralex for a month and Petril for 22 days when I went to review with my doctor he said to continue Cipralex and Petril 0.5 mg. I have been taking 1/2 tablet but he said to tak...  Read Full »