Common "Cataract" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


When the clear lens of the eye becomes dense and cloudy, it is called cataract. Clumps of protein form in the eye that prevent the eyes from forming a clear image. Surgical treatment methods for cataract are phacoemulsification and extracapsular surgery.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am a 41-year-old and developed cataract. Please help me with the treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41-year-old, and doctors told me it is so early for me to develop a cataract at that age. I recently discovered that I have a cataract in the center of my dominant eye. Most eye doctors I visited told me to wait, and others recommended surgery. Please help me with your best respons...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. Please do not worry. Cataract is not a disease, but it is a normal age-related change in the eye. The lens in the eye is made up of proteins, and it is transparent. With age, proteins get denatured, leading to slowly increasing translucenc...  Read Full »

My 73-year-old father is facing difficulty in undergoing cataract surgery because of his high blood pressure. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I am writing to seek your professional advice and expertise regarding a concerning issue with my 73-year-old father, who is experiencing significant difficulty obtaining cataract surgery due to his high blood pressure. Initially, it was recommended for one eye, but now both eyes require s...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. Let us try to reassure and calm him down by taking some steps. I recommend discussing with your doctor the possibility of starting antianxiety medication to help him relax. In addition to medication, encourage him t...  Read Full »

I had a cornea suture after a corneal laceration and lost my vision due to a traumatic cataract. Do I need a cornea transplant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a corneal laceration from 4 to 6 o clock. Last year after the cornea suture I still did not gain vision due to a traumatic cataract. I had traumatic cataract surgery last year and still, my sight has not improved. Still regarded as legally blind in one eye. My doctor said ther...  Read Full »

Dr. Rasmi Abo Touk Rifai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is clear that before the cataract operation, we cannot define the sight (visual acuity) but after days of operation did you see something better, then after the YAG laser, you saw something better or not always the same vision. Is there any whiteness on the cornea...  Read Full »

I got diagnosed with cataracts after my vision blurred due to an accidental fall. Is the cataract due to the fall, and do I need to consult a retina specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a fall and hit my head. After that, my vision was blurred in one eye. I went to an ophthalmologist who told me I had cataracts, but he did not say if they were caused by the fall. I want to know if they could have been caused by the fall. In the meantime, I went to an optometrist...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. Trauma to the eye may lead to traumatic cataracts. Also, it may cause breaks in your retina, which, if not repaired on time, may lead to total blindness due to retinal detachment. So it is a good practice to see a r...  Read Full »

How can diabetes contribute to cataracts?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 66-year-old diabetic man. My wife passed away a year ago. I have been suffering from diabetes for the last 30 years. I am even hypertensive. I regularly take insulin for diabetes and also many other medications for diabetes and hypertension. For the last few days, I was having a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I totally understand your concern. I saw all your test reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your eyes are quite healthy for your age. You need new glasses as prescribed. With that, your vision will be absolutely clear. You have an early...  Read Full »

Can accidental entry of metal shavings into eyes cause dry eyes and cataract?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an injury to my eyes seven months back. I got metal shavings in both and had to remove and left scars on my retina. Since then everything is blurry and went to the eye doctor last month. My prescription has not changed. They say I have dry eye and starting of cataracts. Can the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Blurred vision may be due to a corneal problem, cataract or retinal scars. After trauma, all these complications can occur. Dry eyes will improve with artificial tears and cornea will get normal. But any corneal scar or opacity will remain and can hinder in vision. Cata...  Read Full »

Can you reverse the change in eye power caused by using wrong glasses?

Query: Hi doctor, Before two years, I had an SPH of +0.5 in the right eye and ADD of +1.25. In my left eye, I had an SPH of +0.75 and ADD of +1.25. But I was using a glass having SPH of +1.50 and ADD of +1.25 in my right eye and SPH of +1.50 and ADD of +1.25 in my left eye. Yesterday, I went to a test a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pandya Pooja Girishbhai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to According to your age, you are having hypermetropia. It is called far-sightedness. In this, distant objects can be seen clearly but near focus seems to be blurred without glasses. As you are 46 years old, so this is an age to have a cataract. Once you have it, it gets i...  Read Full »

Will cataract and myopia get stable with time?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old and I am in the computer field and have myopia (-10) and cataract in both eyes, will it get stable with time or are there any chances that I can go blind. I am in depression thinking about I might go blind.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I will first of all say that myopia is correctable and cataracts are curable, so there is no need to worry about blindness as long as you are attending your follow ups regularly. You have mentioned that your power is -10 but I want to ask you how much your vision is wit...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to use Prednisolone for long time after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing this to get your kind suggestion regarding my mother (Age: 56 years). Two years back, she had her cataract surgery for both eyes PCIOL. After having the surgery she was fine while she had these following drugs like Neopred, Xirom and Optimox. She was under these drops for...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your mother has post operative uveitis which happens in some patients after cataract surgery. The treatment includes, we try to find out any cause for recurrent inflammation. If there is no cause then we treat the inflammation. If there is some inciting factor presen...  Read Full »

Which is the best lens for cataract RE with pars planitis, monofocal or multifocal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have complicated cataract RE with pars planitis. My doctor started conservative treatment and after two months he advised me to go for the surgery for cataract. I wanted to go with a multifocal lens in my eye to avoid specs after surgery. But the doctor suggested me to go for monofo...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your doctor is correct in choosing monofocal as the amount of useful vision you will get would be less and the inflammatory reaction due to pars planitis may cause you to get lesser vision post surgery than what you had before it. Another option, however, is that you...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.