Q. How can cataract be treated without pain?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Published on Mar 27, 2019

My mother is diagnosed with cataract. The prescription of an eye specialist is attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Doctor has recommended for surgery and has prescribed some tests before surgery. My question is what is the most advanced surgery available at present without having pain.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

As far as cataract surgery is concerned, any good surgeon would do under topical anesthesia (no injection). The most advanced option is Femtosecond laser-assisted surgery and the most advanced lens is Alcon Panoptix Trifocal lens.

How to improve our eye-sight if we have myopia?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Age Related Cataract and its Management

Article Overview: This article discusses about senile cataract, which is the most common cause of preventable blindness. Most of us will have age related cataract in the old age. The only treatment we have is surgery; by which we can restore normal vision. Read Article

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Cataract is a decrease in transparency of the natural crystalline lens present in the eye. This lens, as in a camera, helps transmitted light to focus on the retina.  Causes of Cataract: Age related cataract is the most common type. Other causes of cataract can be: Congenital (for example ...  Read Article

Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I had laser surgery on both my eyes 15 years back, and it was not very successful. My eye sight power came back along with the cylindrical power. My power has been stable for the last 10 years. Now my vision has become 6/4. But, I found out that I have dry eyes ever since. If I use ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Dry eye syndrome also called as sicca syndrome is due to the inability of the tear glands to produce enough tears. It is sometimes associated with dry mouth and positive antibodies like anti-Ro and anti-La, in which case, it is called Sjogr...  Read Full

Can cataract surgery be had in a person with high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My 68-year-old mother has cataracts in her both eyes. She is advised to have a cataract surgery in her right eye. But her blood sugar level is 150 mg/dL at fasting and 190 mg/dL postprandial. Her HbA1c is 8.8%. We are confused whether cataract operation can be undertaken with this sug...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For any surgery be it cataract surgery or any other, blood sugar levels are needed to be in control. Fasting less than 110 mmHg and postmeal less than 140 though levels you have mentioned are not so high. The problem is your mother's HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is 8...  Read Full