Q. Why do I need to remove glasses while reading?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

I had a recent eye checkup. There is no change to the prescription of varifocal lenses. Why do I need to remove glasses for reading? Would single lens solve the problem?

#

If you were wearing glasses for near and now you do not need glasses for near, then that means you are getting index myopia due to changes in your natural lenses. That is an early sign of cataract changes that you can see without near glasses and it is called second vision. As you are 70 years old, there must be some early cataract changes. If you are fine with glasses for distant vision, then it is fine until your vision is further deteriorated.

• Cataract surgery is an elective surgery in most of the time that means when you feel it is not fine with this vision you get cataract surgery done and get a normal vision.
  • Your eye doctor will guide you according to the condition and then you can discuss which type of lens you want to get in cataract surgery like monofocal, multifocal or toric, etc. So, till then enjoy your life. When you feel vision getting worse go to your eye doctor. I am sure he will do the best.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|