Common "Cerebral Atrophy" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Cerebral Atrophy

Cerebral atrophy is the loss or degeneration of the brain cells. It is a feature of many diseases affecting the brain. It causes loss of neuron connections. It can be a diffuse or focal lesion, resulting in decreased brain function. It can affect a person's lifespan and worsen if the underlying conditions worsen. There is no cure available, but supportive treatment can be provided.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Will Olanzapine help in delusion and behavioral change in elderly?

Query: Hello doctor, This is about a 71-year-old male. Psychiatrist said that a plain CT scan and another CT scan should be taken with contrast, but after four attempts they could not create channel in his veins, so contrast CT scan of the brain was not done. Plain CT scan of the brain showed: Cortical ...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The symptoms you have described, of paranoid ideation, suspiciousness, restlessness, decreased sleep are all indicative of a psychotic type of illness, most probably schizophrenia. It will require treatment from a psychiatrist with antipsychotic medicines. Olanzapin...  Read Full »

I am experiencing involuntary movements in my lower left jaw. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from lower jaw involuntary movement towards the left side that resulted in headaches, low vision, weakness, and lack of appetite for two years. Upon taking homeopathy medicine, these symptoms increase. What causes lower jaw involuntary movement without pain? Kindly...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, I am glad you chose icliniq for your medical-related queries. I understand your concern and will try to help you with it. I had appreciated it if you could provide details about your symptoms in a sequential manner: 1. When did your headaches start? Could you give an estimate in terms of days...  Read Full »

My father has diffuse cerebral atrophy. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, a doctor said to my father that he has got age-related diffuse cerebral atrophy and it will affect the memory. Please explain what it is. Will he forget everything, even me? His age is 59. I am very frightened.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Regarding your concern, I would explain that your father's symptoms and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)findings are indicative of dementia or Alzheimer's disease. This is a progressive disorder with progressive memory problems. Unfortunately, there is no cure, but th...  Read Full »

Why am I unable to walk steadily?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 76 years old. For the past two years, I am unable to walk steadily. I do not have vertigo. While sitting down, I do not have any problem. Within seconds after standing up, I feel my legs become heavy and difficult to walk. If I try to veer sideways abruptly, I feel like I am going t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern and explain that your symptoms could be related to brain atrophy or small vessel disease of the brain. I do not think that you have Parkinson's disease like your brother, so I do not think Syndopa (Levodopa and Carbidopa) will help you. Anyw...  Read Full »

Is there a treatment for diffuse cerebral atrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy. He was admitted last week to a hospital where the doctors told me he is suffering from diffuse cerebral atrophy, but there are no medicines for this and there is no guarantee for his life. Please tell me what is the treatment for th...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the report you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I am afraid I have to agree with your doctor because diffuse cerebral atrophy is not treatable as neurons once dead, do not regenerate. However, there are some measures to contr...  Read Full »

My mother's MRI scan suggests cerebral atrophy. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 52 years old and suffering from headache since so many years. We started the psychiatric treatment for her before six years. She has to take all medicines every day and whenever she misses them, she suffers from the headache. So, we decided to go for her brain MRI and the res...  Read Full »

Dr. Hardik Nareshbhai Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your question well. Cerebral atrophy is a normal change seen in every aging brain. But for some people, it is faster than the other. Please do not get panic from this finding. There is no medicine to date, which is effective in treating cerebral atrophy. The...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain in the head with concentration difficulty and memory loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some symptoms like pain in my head bones, swollen sensation in my brain, pain on the left upper side of the head, temporary memory loss, difficulty concentrating, and chronic fatigue. Please review my MRI report.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The findings of the MRI brain scan are not of serious concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a mild cerebral atrophy changes and slightly prominent lateral ventricles. A curvilinear T1 flair hyperintensity in the left frontal convexity i...  Read Full »

Is my giddiness connected to CT diagnosis of mild cerebral atrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, CT scan report of the brain shows that I have cerebral atrophy. What does it mean, and what should I do? I need proper guidance and suggestion. I have giddiness, and the doctor informed me that I have a vertigo problem. I am feeling good. But regarding the CT scan reports, I need cl...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Sorry to know regarding the symptoms. Mild Cerebral atrophy means that your brain size and volume is a little less as compared to others. Now it is a very subjective thing, and you need not worry about it. This is not related to your vertigo episode. Commenting upo...  Read Full »

What does the MRI report state regarding my 78-year-old father's condition?

Query: Hello doctor, My 78-year-old father recently underwent an MRI, and the results indicate prominent diffuse cerebral atrophy along with mild chronic ischemic changes involving the periventricular white matter bilaterally. He had a massive heart attack 15 years ago, and since then, he has been on bloo...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello,Welcome to, Results of clinical reports, such as an MRI, need to be interpreted in the context of the patient's specific clinical symptoms. If your father does not exhibit any clinical symptoms despite the abnormal MRI findings, the results might be considered age-appropriate, and...  Read Full »

I have poor balance, dizziness, and difficulty swallowing. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you please check my MRI carefully? My symptoms started nine years ago suddenly, and gradually these symptoms are progressing. I have poor balance, difficulty swallowing, tingling in the fourth and fifth fingers, difficulty standing still for more than three minutes, slow heart rate...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for writing to us. I hope you are not in much discomfort. After reviewing your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain and spine images (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), my observations are below. Brain: There is mild cerebral and cere...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.