Cerebral Atrophy

What is diffuse cerebral atrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 42 years old and suffering from headache in the left side for 30 months and have pain in the left shoulder, left arm, left leg, and left nerves, the spine, and burning foot. My bodyweight is 58 kg and height 5'5". I decided to go for a brain MRI two months back and the results show ...  Read Full »

Dr. Gerry Mike Palisoc

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. The MRI you had is normal without any problems detected (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cerebral atrophy means that your brain is smaller than usual. Causes include age-related changes or alcoholism. Perhaps no other mo...  Read Full »

Why am I unable to walk steadily?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 76 years old. For the past two years, I am unable to walk steadily. I do not have vertigo. While sitting down, I do not have any problem. Within seconds after standing up, I feel my legs become heavy and difficult to walk. If I try to veer sideways abruptly, I feel like I am going t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and explain that your symptoms could be related to brain atrophy or small vessel disease of the brain. I do not think that you have Parkinson's disease like your brother, so I do not think Syndopa (Levodopa and Carbidopa) will help you. Anyw...  Read Full »

Will Olanzapine help in delusion and behavioral change in elderly?

Query: Hello doctor, This is about a 71-year-old male. Psychiatrist said that a plain CT scan and another CT scan should be taken with contrast, but after four attempts they could not create channel in his veins, so contrast CT scan of the brain was not done. Plain CT scan of the brain showed: Cortical ...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you have described, of paranoid ideation, suspiciousness, restlessness, decreased sleep are all indicative of a psychotic type of illness, most probably schizophrenia. It will require treatment from a psychiatrist with antipsychotic medicines. Olanzapin...  Read Full »

Will mild cerebral atrophy lead to dementia?

Query: Hello doctor, Diffusion-weighted images, ADC maps, and postcontrast sequences were also performed. Findings: There is mild cerebral volume loss and ex vacuo dilatation of ventricular system. There are scattered punctate foci of increased signal intensity within the periventricular and deep subcor...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI shows mild cerebral atrophy with some small vessel disease changes. I would like to know about your memory, speech, gait and urinary symptoms. Are there any abnormalities? These changes are much common at the age of 70 but still, you have to take some precau...  Read Full »