Q. Kindly explain about cerebral atrophy.

Dr. Gerry Mike Palisoc
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am 42 years old and suffering from headache in the left side for 30 months and have pain in the left shoulder, left arm, left leg, and left nerves, the spine, and burning foot. My bodyweight is 58 kg and height 5'5". I decided to go for a brain MRI two months back and the results show diffuse cerebral atrophy. What does it mean? How can we treat this? Please suggest me some medication for this disease. My neurologist prescribed me some medicines and I am uploading these. I have to take these medicines daily. Whenever I miss them, I suffer headache, pain and burning sensation on the left side. It seems I am addicted to these medicines. I need some guidance on the same.

#

I have read your concern. The MRI you had is normal without any problems detected (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cerebral atrophy means that your brain is smaller than usual. Causes include age-related changes or alcoholism. Perhaps no other modalities can reverse this unless you stop drinking alcohol. If everything you do is within your normal routine, the atrophy will not cause you any problems. This is also not related to the symtpoms you are experiencing.

The medications given to you is a combination of anti-hypertensive, pain reliever, mood stabilizer, and vitamins and minerals. You should take all these medications because you need it for your pain and possible anxiety and increase in blood pressure. This thing should help you. I wish you luck.

|