Q. Can cerebral palsy be cured?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 10, 2022 and last reviewed on: Nov 28, 2022

My daughter has been in the ICU and diagnosed with a hypoxic-ischemic injury and injury to the occipital lobe basal ganglia cerebellum on the MRI. It happened after the cardiac arrest two months back. A brain CT scan was done two weeks after her admission, and it was all clear. The neurologist said it could be cerebral palsy and that she could not do much. Currently, my daughter is on antibiotics.

I just need an opinion on the same.

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

As per your information, after cardiac arrest, hypoxic brain injury can occur if the blood and oxygen flow is hampered to the brain. Such brain injury can occur at the cellular level, and the areas that need more oxygen are greatly affected, like the basal ganglia, cerebellum, and hippocampus. If such damage is mild, it may also not be picked in MRI. However, these damages can be visible in MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) but not in CT (computed tomography) scans if significant. Regarding treatment, no specific treatment is available for such hypoxic injuries. A few neuroprotective agents (Piracetam, Citicholine) are sometimes given but are doubtful.

Kindly get the EEG (electroencephalography) of the brain done.

Hope this helps.

Sharing the MRI report with you.

Could she ever be normal after these injuries?

Kindly help.

#

The prognosis for improvement is variable in such situations. The MRI shows (attachment removed to proetect the patient's identity) widespread lesions meaning significant hypoxia and a bad prognosis. Some patients may remain comatose for an extended period and may develop other complications like aspiration pneumonitis, urinary tract infection, bed sores, and disuse atrophy of the limb muscles.

Some patients may recover in the sensorium and come close to a normal life. If no other secondary complication happens, many patients show partial recovery in the sensorium. However, they may remain physically dependent or have cognitive declines like poor judgment, memory, or other skills. The exact outcome cannot be predicted in a particular patient, and recovery can be observed with time.

Hope this helps.

|