Q. Does delayed speech development mean cerebral palsy?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Published on Feb 27, 2019

My daughter is 18 months of age. She was born at 38 weeks due to placenta failure and oxygen issues. She was 5 lbs 10 ounces at birth and was healthy (did not have to stay in the NICU). She hit all of her milestones in terms of rolling over, crawling and walking (walked at 14.5 months), but is a toe walker. Her left leg (to us) is weaker than her right and her left leg does not bend as much as her right leg.

She began to speak around 10 months of age then her speech left. We came to find out she had chronic fluid and a month back she had tubes placed. I am hearing more vowel and consonants now but no true words yet. She makes fine eye contact. Her non-verbal communication is good. She responds to her name but not always. She is beginning to learn more of what we are saying, she plays with some toys, is not terribly social. We are thinking that she may be on the autism spectrum and we have an evaluation soon to determine that. But my question is, could this be cerebral palsy?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I understand the situation you are facing with your child. As there is no history of perinatal insult and NICU stay at birth, cerebral palsy could be less likely at this early age to diagnose. The description you made is more of a like to be an autistic spectrum disorder. But this could be just a small delay in catching up all milestones. Some kids learn early and some little late. So, observe over a period and if no improvement is seen, then consult a pediatric neurologist and developmental specialist for further evaluation and management.

What are the symptoms of a child with autism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just noticed recently my 15 months old when he plays with his electronic toys that light up. He will look closely at where they light up and open his mouth like a stun. It does not happen all the time though. I know this is a sign of autism. But he has great eye contact, responds ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that whatever you have described is a sign of a normal growing child. It is not a sign of autism. These are signs of the child grasping the knowledge of the things and interacting with things around him. Please do not worry. Also, I would advise tender lovin...  Read Full

My baby became floppy after treatment of jaundice. What is the reason?

Query: Hi doctor,My baby is 1 month and 15 days old. It was detected that he has jaundice after the fourth day of life, bilirubin was at 22 %. An EBT was immediately recommended which was successful. He was discharged after nine days, but two weeks later, he suddenly became floppy. Please tell me what can ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Y Siva Roja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly reviewed your query. Baby being floppy can be due to various causes ranging from cerebral palsy, muscle disorders, infections affecting the brain, brain damage due to low oxygen and even brain damage due to jaundice may also cause floppy baby. Brai...  Read Full

After cleft palate surgery, will my daughter speak properly?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years 10 days old now. She has been detected with a soft cleft palate when she was 1.6 years old. The surgeon asked us to wait for a few months as she needed to be more healthier than the current scenario at that time. Now, we consulted the surgeon again and he said tha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Kothari
Cosmetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ideal time that we operate a cleft palate is 11 months. This is to improve speech outcome. If all parameters are normal, then the cleft palate can be corrected at this age too before speech develops. So, there is no need to worry.  Read Full

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now