Q. Does ventricular ectopic beats lead to cardiac arrest?

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

My heart is normal, but I have ventricular ectopic beats. Could these cause cardiac arrest and kill me at the age of 23? I worry about it every day. Kindly advice.

#

It is unusual for ventricular ectopics alone to cause cardiac arrest. Still, it depends on various factors like cause of ectopics, the morphology of ectopics, frequency of ectopics LV function on Echo. What symptoms do you have? Please provide your ECG and Echocardiography report. You have uploaded your photo as an attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

| 

I had an echo gram which came back as fine heart structure. My ectopic usually happens once a day, sometimes more. My symptoms are flutter and big pound in the chest when the ectopic happen and slightly short of breath, but this only lasts for a few seconds. I also suffer from anxiety and panic. My heart will stop beating. I get rapid heart slot as well. My ECG was shown to be normal with just shaking ectopic beats and occasional fast heart.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

As your seven-day heart monitoring report is not showing anything other than ectopics and Echocardiography report is normal. You need not worry about ectopics as it may occur because of your anxiety. If you are unable to tolerate the symptoms, you can start a beta-blockers with the help of your doctor.

|