Is it necessary to undergo C-section after cervical cerclage?

Q. Can normal delivery be attempted after cervical cerclage?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

My wife is 38 weeks pregnant and in the 19th week, the doctor recommended for cervical cerclage and that was done at that time. What is the chance of having normal delivery rather than C-section as me and my wife are not willing to go for C-section and want the baby to be delivered normal and the cervical length in 34 weeks is 37 mm? Kindly let me know what are the chances for normal delivery.

#

As she is 38 weeks now, she should have cerclage removed and should have an examination by local treating gynecology doctor and mode of delivery should be discussed after having all details in front (fetal and maternal condition). At certain gestational age, cervical cerclage needs to be removed. After that, it is better to have a walk daily to help a proper path of labor to form. Post removal of cerclage, normal labor could be tried. Many factors interfere to finalize the mode of delivery like the size of the baby, any medical, obstetric complications. So, it is better to be checked and discussed around 36 weeks after removal of cerclage. Have regular antenatal visits and scans. A complete treatment of any health issue you have. Daily walk. Have recreational activities and quit recreational drugs.

|