Q. My wife has neoplasia and a fibroid in her uterus. Is hysterectomy the only option?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

My wife is 51 years old, and she weighs 60 kg and 1.58 m tall. She took a Pap smear test and found out that she has neoplasia 3 and a fibroid of 5 to 6 cm. We consulted a gynecologist and, who advised removing the uterus and ovaries. Please advice. Is removing the uterus the only option?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I will also advise for surgery since Pap smear shows grade 3 changes. Preserving the uterus is only advised in young women requiring fertility, who also need lifelong follow-up later.
  • In your wife's state, since she is already 51, what is the point of preserving the uterus and always live under the threat?
  • These surgeries are quite common and can also be done through laparoscopy. Which means she will have far less morbidity in post operative period and a very short hospital stay. In some centers, they are even discharged at the same day.

Hope I have answered your question. Thanks and take care.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

For uterine fibroid, how quickly should I get surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that las...  Read Full »

How to manage heavy menstrual flow?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from heavy menstrual flow for the past 1.5 years. Around six months, I had heavy flow with clots. Now, I have been menstruating for the past 20 days continuously with heavy flow and clots. My current medication includes capsule Gynae CVP, tablet Augmentin and caps...  Read Full »