Q. My wife has neoplasia and a fibroid in her uterus. Is hysterectomy the only option?

Dr. Sabita Laskar
Published on Aug 14, 2017

My wife is 51 years old, and she weighs 60 kg and 1.58 m tall. She took a Pap smear test and found out that she has neoplasia 3 and a fibroid of 5 to 6 cm. We consulted a gynecologist and, who advised removing the uterus and ovaries. Please advice. Is removing the uterus the only option?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I will also advise for surgery since Pap smear shows grade 3 changes. Preserving the uterus is only advised in young women requiring fertility, who also need lifelong follow-up later.
  • In your wife's state, since she is already 51, what is the point of preserving the uterus and always live under the threat?
  • These surgeries are quite common and can also be done through laparoscopy. Which means she will have far less morbidity in post operative period and a very short hospital stay. In some centers, they are even discharged at the same day.

Hope I have answered your question. Thanks and take care.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

For uterine fibroid, how quickly should I get surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that las...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abiodun A

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having symptomatic uterine fibroid. Since it is symptomatic and you have had children, then the best for you is to go for a hysterectomy. This will make you to have peace of mind. If you do not get surgery, then there is a tendency of recurrent heavy menstrua...  Read Full

How to manage heavy menstrual flow?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from heavy menstrual flow for the past 1.5 years. Around six months, I had heavy flow with clots. Now, I have been menstruating for the past 20 days continuously with heavy flow and clots. My current medication includes capsule Gynae CVP, tablet Augmentin and caps...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are losing blood heavily. Kindly upload your reports as well. Since you are bleeding for the last 20 days continuously, first we should try to stop this. I suggest tablet Meftaris (combination of Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid) one tablet thrice a day for three...  Read Full