Q. My wife has neoplasia and a fibroid in her uterus. Is hysterectomy the only option?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

My wife is 51 years old, and she weighs 60 kg and 1.58 m tall. She took a Pap smear test and found out that she has neoplasia 3 and a fibroid of 5 to 6 cm. We consulted a gynecologist and, who advised removing the uterus and ovaries. Please advice. Is removing the uterus the only option?

#

• I will also advise for surgery since Pap smear shows grade 3 changes. Preserving the uterus is only advised in young women requiring fertility, who also need lifelong follow-up later.
  • In your wife's state, since she is already 51, what is the point of preserving the uterus and always live under the threat?
  • These surgeries are quite common and can also be done through laparoscopy. Which means she will have far less morbidity in post operative period and a very short hospital stay. In some centers, they are even discharged at the same day.

Hope I have answered your question. Thanks and take care.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|