The surgical excision of a woman's uterus is called a hysterectomy. It is performed to treat conditions such as uterine fibroids, uterine prolapse, endometriosis, uncontrolled menstrual bleeding, cancer of the uterus, cervix, or ovaries, adenomyosis, and pelvic inflammatory disease.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why is my 50-year-old mother still getting her periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am sharing the ultrasound reports of my 50-year-old mother, who is still getting her periods. Kindly advise.   Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I have seen the attached documents (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Based on the reports, she has three issues. A large uterine fibroid, which is likely the cause of her bleeding. An ovarian cyst, which can sometim...  Read Full »

Does my cytology report indicate metastatic breast cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my cytology report from pelvic wash before hysterectomy. I need some clarifications on the pathology report. The report showed atypical cells - reactive mesothelial cells, enlarged and crowded nuclei, positive for calretinin and negative for Ber-EP4. Could these be metastatic breas...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the reason for which hysterectomy was done. Before giving a comment, the location of mass should be known. Usually, calretinin stain applied to differentiate between mesothelioma and other metastatic carcinoma or adenocarcinomas. Calretinin can be...  Read Full »

I have chronic pain in the pelvic region after partial hysterectomy. Is it related?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had chronic pain in the right pelvic region for over a year, and it feels like I have been kicked in the rear. I had a partial hysterectomy 14 years ago. I am a 49-year-old who had a cyst in my ovaries. Also, I have a history of endometriosis. I got two ultrasonography investig...  Read Full »

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the above-mentioned symptoms, it could be endometriosis. However, it can be confirmed only after knowing the description of the cysts on ultrasonography and CT scan (computed tomography). Hemorrhagic cysts are generally a feature of endometriosis. Fluid in the p...  Read Full »

I am suffering from intermittent stomach pain for two days. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been experiencing intermittent stomach pain for two days. I underwent hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) and oophorectomy (removal of ovaries) surgeries five months ago.  Read Full »

Dr. Manisha Auradkar Raghunath Auradkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. As you have a recent history of hysterectomy, the pain you are experiencing might or might not be associated with this. Kindly mention the exact location of your pain, whether the pain is in the area around the stitches. Also, check for...  Read Full »

Is removing the uterus the only option for neoplasia and fibroid in the uterus?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 51 years old, and she weighs 60 kg and 1.58 m tall. She took a Pap smear test and found out that she has neoplasia 3 and a fibroid of 5 to 6 cm. We consulted a gynecologist and, who advised removing the uterus and ovaries. Please advice. Is removing the uterus the only option?  Read Full »

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will also advise for surgery since Pap smear shows grade 3 changes. Preserving the uterus is only advised in young women requiring fertility, who also need lifelong follow-up later. In your wife's state, since she is already 51, what is the point of preserving the uteru...  Read Full »

Abdominal vs laparoscopic hysterectomy - which is better?

Query: Hello doctor, Which type of surgery is better for hysterectomy for a 45 year old patient with menorrhagia, open surgery or laparoscopy?  Read Full »

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Laparoscopic hysterectomy is better due to minimal pain, minimal blood loss, minimal infection, clear visualization of organs and minimal postoperative hospital stay.   Read Full »

I have hypothyroidism. I want to reduce weight. Please advise me the diet and exercises.

Query: Dear Doctor, I have hypothyroidism and I am on medicines for it. Also hysterectomy was done 3 years back. I want to reduce my weight now. Please advise appropriate diet and exercise for me. Age - 52 years/ female.Weight - 75kgs, height - 5'4".  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your weight gain may be partially due to hypothyroidism.You may start with brisk walking for 20 minutes daily and gradually increase it to 45 minutes daily. Please do not lift heavy weights at this age. This may cause more harm than benefit. Try oats, muesli, brown ...  Read Full »

Diagnosed with endometrial cancer and underwent hysterectomy. Please guide me.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 58 year old female. I am suffering from both blood pressure and diabetes. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and undergone hysterectomy. I have also attached my reports. Please guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had verified your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I must say that you have undergone hysterectomy which is the best-known treatment for grade 2 endometrial cancer. I advise you to consult your doctor regularly even after surgery and do n...  Read Full »

How long can I take HRT, and will it cause any trouble when taken for a long time?

Query: Hello doctor, I have just received my blood results of thyroid and hormone blood test, and I require your help, please. I am 54 years old woman, who is 5.6 feet tall and weigh 13.10 stone. I have suffered from ill health for many years and cannot remember the last time I felt well. I had a complete...  Read Full »

Dr. Deep Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry you have had to go through a lot. I really appreciate your writing all your problems in such a detailed way, which makes me easy to understand all your symptoms fully. Most importantly it is high time you stop your hormone replacement therapy. HRT should not...  Read Full »

What are the chances of an ovarian cancer to come back after total abdominal hysterectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am sending the details of my relative, who had a total abdominal hysterectomy and then took six cycles of chemotherapy. Her recent CA-125 result was 89 units/mL and her USG reports also observe a few new lesions. Would you please guide us on what shall be her subsequent treatment...  Read Full »

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.comI have gone through your query and have looked at the reports you have provided (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).A 53-year-old woman was diagnosed with stage III ovarian carcinoma. And received neoadjuvant chemotherapy, debulking surgery, and six cyc...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.