Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

Abdominal vs laparoscopic hysterectomy - which is better?

Query: Hello doctor, Which type of surgery is better for hysterectomy for a 45 year old patient with menorrhagia, open surgery or laparoscopy?  Read Full »

Dr. Madathupalayam Madhankumar

Surgical Gastroenterologist, General Practitioner, Family Physician, Vascular Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Laparoscopic hysterectomy is better due to: Minimal pain. Minimal blood loss. Minimal infection. Clear visualization of organs. Minimal postoperative hospital stay. Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for a detailed discussion --> https://www.i...  Read Full »

Is Laparoscopic hysterectomy test necessary for uterine fibroid?

Query: Hi doctor, My spouse aged 47 years has been advised laparoscopic hysterectomy as a fibroid of 80 x 70 mm is observed in USG of the uterus. She is having irregular periods from the last 9 to 10 months. Her hemoglobin has reduced to 9.5 g/dL. Is this a sufficient and strong ground for a hysterectomy...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, this is sufficient ground for hysterectomy, and I think you should go ahead. Since she has a symptomatic fibroid, she will need definitive treatment. There are medicines available, but they are not very effective. They may just keep symptoms under control, and ...  Read Full »

I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 52 year old female, who weighs 75 kg and I am 152 cm tall. I want to know whether we should opt for hysterectomy or not. I do not want to do a hysterectomy, as it may interfere with hormonal balance later. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge, with a fair amount of red spots. W...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to the reports, there is an increased thickening of the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus. A thickness of more than 5 mm is considered abnormal and often consider...  Read Full »

What can be done for injured urinary bladder and the left side ureter during hysterectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have injured urinary bladder and the left side ureter during hysterectomy surgery by laparoscopy. Then, cystoscopy and nephrostomy were done. A catheter is used. Can surgery be done again?  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and the reports of your surgery (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There has been an inadvertent injury to your left ureter and bladder. The details of the bladder injury are not clear in the summary given, but should most l...  Read Full »

My wife has neoplasia and a fibroid in her uterus. Is hysterectomy the only option?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 51 years old, and she weighs 60 kg and 1.58 m tall. She took a Pap smear test and found out that she has neoplasia 3 and a fibroid of 5 to 6 cm. We consulted a gynecologist and, who advised removing the uterus and ovaries. Please advice. Is removing the uterus the only option?  Read Full »

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will also advise for surgery since Pap smear shows grade 3 changes. Preserving the uterus is only advised in young women requiring fertility, who also need lifelong follow-up later. In your wife's state, since she is already 51, what is the point of preserving the uteru...  Read Full »