Q. Two years after hysterectomy, my mom got lesion in liver. Will this go away on chemotherapy?

Dr. Kumar Varadarajan Senthil

Two years back, my mother underwent uterine hysterectomy operation and she was given six cycles of chemotherapy when her CA125 result is 47. After six cycles she was back to normal. Before four months her CA125 levels are 7 and now her CA125 is 350 and she has lesion found on the liver. I am attaching the complete test results including CT scan.

We are writing to you to get a second opinion regarding the treatment. The present doctor suggested four cycles of chemotherapy for four months with four weeks interval. We would like to know the present condition and the pros and cons of the treatment suggested. Is the situation too serious? Does the lesion go away with the chemotherapy or surgery is required? What kind of diet should be followed to get well soon during chemotherapy?

#

I have seen the reports. 9attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Ovarian cancer recurrence is classified normally as platinum-sensitive or platinum-resistant. Since it is more than six months from initial treatment would be classed as platinum sensitive. So the treatment options would be:

Carboplatin alone three weekly or Carboplatin plus Paclitaxel three weekly (sometimes four weekly). Since CA125 is a good surrogate marker, you can monitor it every two months and scan after four cycles.

1. Yes, it is serious but it all depends on the degree of response to chemotherapy.

2. Treatment is not curative but to keep cancer under control and to give two years disease-free interval, there is a good chance of response.

3. Surgery is not an option.

4. No specific diets have shown to be beneficial.

|