Q. I had asthma in my childhood, but now I am experiencing chest pain in my teenage. Why?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 18, 2021

I am a teenager, and I cannot get hold of anyone to help me with this. I have a bit of chest pain. Not so bad; it does not hurt much, and I do not want to concern anyone until I know if I should or not. Again all I have is chest pain for less than a day and a runny nose running for a week about now. I run and walk every day for about half an hour and have not done it today as of this being sent. This has not happened to me before that I know of what would you say? When I was a child aged 3 years until age 8, maybe I had asthma, and to this day, I may have nonsevere asthma that my doctor does not care about or even realize (only affects during a workout of some sort).

#

I understand your concern. Also, asthma is not something that disappears. You still might be having some bronchospasm which could be the reason for your chest pain. Please also keep the possibility of a COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) infection in mind. I would advise you to isolate yourself and take good care of your health and sleep pattern. Please run a PFT (pulmonary function test) to know the status of your asthma condition. Also, if you have any chest tightness and breathing difficulties, you must visit the nearest doctor as soon as possible. I hope this helps.

1. PFT (pulmonary function test).
2. Oxygen saturation level.
3. Chest X-ray (posteroanterior view).

Tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg (one tablet at night before sleep) for three days.
Tablet Vitamin C (one tablet daily for 15 days).

In case you have COVID-19 symptoms, please visit your doctor and isolate yourself.

|