Q. I have constant minor chest and neck pain. Is it due to smoking?

Published on Dec 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2019

I am a smoker and have been smoking for 20 years. I can feel the stress of smoke while I breathe normally. But now I have constant minor chest ache probably in the lungs. I also have been facing a problem of pain in the neck and lower pain. This increases in the night when I am lying down. Can you suggest medicine to cure my lung conditions? I am prepared to give up smoking.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

First of all congrats on the resolve to quit smoking. Half the job is done. Now please walk the talk. The other half. Whatever damage has been done will gradually reverse back. Also, start on some breathing exercises and yoga and good healthy eating habits.

Now coming to your problem, since you have have been smoking for 20 years, we must rule out any neoplasm in the respiratory pathways. For the same a chest x-ray PA (posteroanterior) view is essential. I would also suggest some blood investigations namely, complete blood count inclusive of but not restricted to ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), TLC (total leukocyte count), DLC (differential leukocyte count), RBS(random blood sugar), Hb (hemoglobin), etc.

Do you produce cough or sputum or blood in sputum? If so we need to take a sputum sample for AFB (tuberculous bacilli). Neck pain can be simple muscle ache or sprain. The pointers to this sort of pain are aggravation at certain positions. Relief with hot fomentation can also be pointing to such sprains.

As a temporary treatment plan I am suggesting the following:

1. Steam inhalation with Karvol plus capsules in the water (similar to Vicks inhalant capsules).

2. Paracetamol 650 mg for pain relief. It can be taken twice to thrice a day depending on the pain.

3. Multivitamin tablets, to my patients I usually prescribe Supradyn tablets or Supradyn activ tablets.

4. Good nutritious food comprising plenty of green leafy vegetables and adequate amounts of proteins and energy.

5. Diclofenac gel like Voveran or Myolaxin may be applied after hot fomentation of the neck to relieve any spasm.

Also with regards to your height and weight, as per what you have given, the weight is quite high. It should be brought down by 25 kg to have a healthy BMI (body mass index). If you require help regarding the same you may contact me.

| 

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

How to check if the blood circulation to the head and neck is fine?

Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now