Q. I took Accutane for 10 months and stopped it three months back. Why is my skin bumpy now?

Dr. Subhash Kashyap
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

I was taking Accutane 40 mg for ten months. Now I have stopped taking it for three months. After stopping it, I seem to have some small elevated bumps in my skin.

#

Isotretinoin is the best drug of choice for acne vulgaris. You have taken it for ten months and it is a too long time. Young-aged people are more prone to develop acne vulgaris. It is good to use Accutane 40 mg daily for three to four months. After that, it can be stopped. Most of the patients will not have acne for one and a half years. Again, another course can be taken for three to four months. If you have similar lesions of comedones, whiteheads, or blackheads, then I suggest you start taking it. You can take Accutane 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. You can send your photo for review. Acne can cause dryness in the skin and so take plenty of water. Do not touch your face too often. You can use Clindamycin gel over the lesions twice daily. You can also use Salicyclic acid face wash 2% while having more comedones.

You need to do a lipid profile.

Have a review after four weeks.

|