Q. Can you suggest an alternative to Accutane for acne?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 17, 2021

I am on Isotretinoin for around 50 days. My face is now clear and it really improved my skin as I have oily skin. But, I have noticed clay colored stools. I am also having high fever and facing weakness. Now, my veins on hand started to swell. I am also having difficulty in breathing. But, my acne will return if I stop Accutane. What should I do? Can you suggest any alternative to Accutane like any vitamin supplement that will decrease my sebum and is safe as well? I have also heard that Isotretinoin will damage liver. Please clarify.

#

• You should visit your physician as soon as possible. All these can be symptoms of obstructive jaundice.
  • To confirm get your blood tested for complete blood count and liver function test. Also, get a urine routine microscopic test and ultrasound abdomen.
  • Stop oral Isotretinoin and continue applying topical medications like a combination (Clindamycin and Adapalene) gel at bedtime or any other creams or gel that you are using.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I used Deriva gel, but the effect was not fine for me. I did my blood test and the report was normal. My skin produces lots of sebum. How to control it?

#

• No other oral medications will help to reduce sebum acne. You can safely opt peel procedure.
  • Chemical peeling would help to reduce sebum production and acne. It is performed by dermatologist once in two weeks.

|