Q. Please check my lipid profile and provide detailed interpretation.

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

Over the last four months, I have been on high fat, high protein, and low carbohydrate diet where I am taking 250 g of protein, 200 g of fat (mostly saturated), and a very low carbohydrate target of less than 50 g per day. Cholesterol is one of the major problems in my family, so I got a lipid profile test done. I am doing intense workouts and focusing on building muscle. Would you please check my lipid profile and provide me with a detailed interpretation of it? If my HDL is good and LDL is bad, does this still lower the chance of heart or cholesterol problems? What is the difference between non-HDL and cholesterol ratios? Which is important? What is my case? What do you think of saturated fat and cholesterol? Are they linked or not? Recent studies say that saturated fat increases HDL. I have attached my reports for your reference. Thank you.

#

Your lipid profile (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) suggests that you have normal cholesterol levels except LDL cholesterol, which is raised. High-density lipoproteins (HDL) are good cholesterol and protect blood vessels from deposition of cholesterol. Low-density lipoproteins (LDL) are bad cholesterol and cause deposition of cholesterol on blood vessels leading to atheroma formation in blood vessels.

HDL cholesterol should be between 40 to 50 mg/dL in males. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL) levels are increased in the following conditions:

1. Hyperalphalipoproteinemia (HALP).

2. Regular physical activity or exercise.

3. Chronic liver disease and weight loss.

Thus you can see that excess HDL is bad for the body and related to some diseases in the body. So, 100 mg/dL of HDL is not good and can lead to heart problems. Similarly, an excess LDL of 200 is also bad for the body. Total cholesterol, LDL, and HDL should all be in their normal range, and any excess or decrease in the body is related to some disease process in the body. Since your LDL or bad cholesterol is increased, there is a slightly increased chance of heart-related problems than a person with normal levels of LDL, though your total cholesterol is normal. The cholesterol ratio is total cholesterol divided by HDL. The normal range is between 1 and 3.5. An increase in ratio indicates an increased chance of heart problems. Non-HDL cholesterol is also bad cholesterol, and levels should be below 130 mg /dL. Generally, saturated fats increase total cholesterol and triglycerides in the body by a complex mechanism. So, avoid saturated fats as it increases LDL and not HDL.

|