Q. Please check my lipid profile and provide detailed interpretation.

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 24, 2021

Over the last four months, I am on a high fat, high protein and low carbohydrate diet where I am taking 250 g of protein, 200 g of fat (mostly saturated) and very low carbohydrates target is less than 50 g per day. Cholesterol is one of the major problems in my family, so I got a lipid profile test done. I am doing intense workout and focusing on building muscle. Please check my lipid profile and provide me detailed interpretation of it. If my HDL is good and LDL is bad, does this still lower the chance of heart or cholesterol problems? What is the difference between non-HDL and cholesterol ratio. Which is important? What is my case? What do you think of saturated fat and cholesterol? Are they linked or not? Recent studies say that saturated fat increases HDL. I have attached my reports for your reference. Thank you.

#

• Your lipid profile (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that you have normal cholesterol levels except LDL cholesterol, which is raised.
  • High-density lipoproteins (HDL) are good cholesterol and protect blood vessels from deposition of cholesterol.
  • Low-density lipoproteins (LDL) are bad cholesterol and cause deposition of cholesterol on blood vessels leading to atheroma formation in blood vessels.
  • HDL cholesterol should be between 40 to 50 mg/dL in males.
  • High-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL) levels are increased in the following conditions:
  1. Hyperalphalipoproteinemia (HALP).
  2. Regular physical activity or exercise.
  3. Chronic liver disease and weight loss.
  • Thus you can see that excess of HDL is bad for body and related to some disease in body. So, 100 mg/dL of HDL is not good and can lead to heart problems. Similarly, excess LDL of 200 is also bad for the body.
  • Actually total cholesterol, LDL and HDL should all be in their normal range and any excess or decrease in body is related to some disease process in body.
  • Since your LDL or bad cholesterol is increased, there is slight increased chance of heart related problems than person with normal levels of LDL, though your total cholesterol is normal.
  • Cholesterol ratio is total cholesterol divided by HDL. Normal range is between 1 and 3.5. Increase in ratio indicates increased chance of heart problems.
  • Non-HDL cholesterol is also bad cholesterol and levels should be below 130 mg /dL.
  • Generally, saturated fats increase total cholesterol and triglycerides in body by a complex mechanism. So, avoid saturated fats as it increases LDL and not HDL.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|