Q. What is the treatment for chronic cough in a 4-year-old asthmatic patient?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

My 4-year-old, son, has asthma, and he is coughing so much. He is continuously vomiting, but inhaler and nebulizer are not helping in this case. What should I do?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

Asthma can be exacerbated with a lot of external factors, the external factor like dust, cold, hot climate, pollen's causes irritation and eventual inflammation in small airway resulting in obstruction of airways, as a result, difficult breathing and lot of expectorating. Kindly limit his contact with the allergen. Keep him well, hydrated. He needs to take bronchodilator or corticosteroid inhaler will help decrease inflammation, improve coughing aswell.

Salbutamol cough syrup. Ondansetron will help to stop his vomiting. Also, there is so much advancement has been made in homeopathy treatment, and the medicine shows good response in patients. However, ideally, an X-ray should also be done to see if there is any superimposed chest infection if he has had a fever. I think the best will be to see a pediatrician if the condition is not improved. But the points mentioned above should help your son.

| 

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for chronic dry cough.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from chronic dry cough originating primarily in bronchial area. I feel fatigue, vertigo, lack of appetite and periodic nausea. Please help.  Read Full »

How to proceed with my chronic dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am suffering from cough for almost a month and my abdomen is paining badly due to cough. The cough gets so severe and I end up vomiting, be it early morning or night. I consulted the doctor and was diagnosed with chronic cough. I followed the medicine and it o...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now