Chronic Cough

Can gastric problems result in cough, sore throat, and headaches?

Query: Hi doctor,I have cough and sore throat for many years. Sometimes, I cough after waking up from sleep, and sometimes I have cough randomly. Sometimes, I have itchiness in my throat without pain. Suddenly, I have headaches starting from the back of my head until my shoulder. I have this headache often...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have two possibilities. You can have chronic GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux). Gastric acidic contents cause faulty reflux and this can be the reason for having a feeling of something stuck in your throat or itchy di...  Read Full »

Why do I have chronic cough and mild heartburn from the last five days?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 25-year-old male with a weight of 64 kilograms and a height of five feet four inches. I have a chronic dry cough for the past five days. It becomes more persistent during sleep. I do not have fever. I took a tablet of Cetirizine to rule out the cause of allergy. I have mild heartbur...  Read Full »

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The condition of chronic cough indicates a cough presenting for months or years. As it is present just for five days, it suggests some reflux episode. It can occur due to laryngeal irritation. It causes cough and leads to a choking-like sensation in sleep. You can t...  Read Full »

My 4-year-old son has asthma and he is coughing continuously. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old, son, has asthma, and he is coughing so much. He is continuously vomiting, but inhaler and nebulizer are not helping in this case. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Asthma can be exacerbated with a lot of external factors, the external factor like dust, cold, hot climate, pollen's causes irritation and eventual inflammation in small airway resulting in obstruction of airways, as a result, difficult breathing and lot of expectora...  Read Full »

How to handle asthmatic patient presenting with cough and smoking habit?

Query: My 9 year old daughter has had a bad hacking cough for about a week now and she has asthma and a slight heart murmur unfortunately she has been smoking for about 2 years now the cough won't go away and she is spitting up a lot of phlegm she is on inhalers what can I do  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi I can understand your concern. Unfortunately your daughter is smoking at a very early age and I am confident she can give it up which she should and you can help her out for it. Also make sure anybody else should not smoke inside her room or close to her. Is she getting cough more so durin...  Read Full »

What does elevated IgE level indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from cold for the last three years. I consulted an Ayurvedic doctor, and she advised me an allergy test and CBC, and the report was somewhat not good. My IgE result is 1157.00, and it should be below 64. Is there any serious problem?  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query regarding your cold for three years. As you had asked about allergy, here I would like to say that allergic cold has three cardinal features (watery nasal discharge, bouts of sneezing, and nasal obstruction of both side nasal cavity). Seco...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my chronic productive cough?

Query: Hello doctor, I need to get a help for my persistent cough. I have been having this for the past six months. My current medications are 100 mg of Sertraline daily for depression and anxiety. For the past six months, I started developing a persistent, productive cough. The cough usually produces cl...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. There are many causes of chronic cough. I would like to know if you have any other symptoms also like weight loss, blood in the expectoration, loss of appetite, night sweats, low grade fever, or even...  Read Full »

What could be the diagnosis with chronic cough and hoarseness in voice for a long duration?

Query: Hi doctor, 16 months ago, I was exposed to fine dust from dry grinding/polishing of concrete (indoors) where I work. This went on for two workdays. My voice became coarse right away, and a cough started. Now, 16 months later, throat still irritated, voice is somewhat coarse. I have to clear my t...  Read Full »

Dr. Bruce Hudkins

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I doubt very much that cancer is high on the concern list. So I would start by addressing gastroesophageal reflux disease since you are of an age when this starts, you have a chronic throat clearing cough (almost diagnostic for GERD), you are a nonsmoker, and have ha...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for chronic cough with sticky mucus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cough that lasts for more than a month now. This usually occurs during night time while lying and sometimes at dawn. At first, it was a dry cough then it turns into a wet cough. I do not spit yellow or green phlegm it is all sticky white mucus. I do not have any history of as...  Read Full »

Dr. Gauri Gadge

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand how troublesome it is if it is disturbing your sleep. These cough episodes you are having are mostly due to hyperactive airways. I would advise you certain investigations mentioned below. Also, I would like to know, if you get a cough after exposure...  Read Full »

Is cough without fever a symptom of COVID-19?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cough for almost eight days. My cough was not frequent and I have no fever till now. I feel like something is in my throat sometimes. Can it be a COVID-19? I take Azithromycin 500 mg once a day after meal and Rhinokast F before sleep.  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have any recent travel to countries or areas with COVID-19? How about any recent exposure to someone who is positive with COVID-19? If your answer to these questions is none, then it is least likely for you to have COVID-19. COVID-19 initial symptoms would in...  Read Full »

What is the solution for breathlessness caused due to chronic cough?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing a chronic cough and it has clear-bubbly phlegm and I am so bothered about it because it has been a year since I have it. Sometimes, I vomit especially when my cough is severe and it sometimes makes me breathless. I have been taking antihistamine for it but it h...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your statement, you are suffering from chronic cough for almost a year now that makes you breathless. You did not mention here about your family history, working history, living history, allergic history, smoking history, and the factors that make you br...  Read Full »