Q. Is asthma permanently curable?

Answered by
Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2019

Hi doctor,

My son aged 4 years and 4 months is premature by birth at 34 weeks. His current weight is 15.5 kg. He always used to get a cough and sometimes fever in an interval of every two to three months, especially since last one year. However, there is no other visible physical or mental problem because of his preterm birth. Recently doctor has diagnosed, based on his stethoscope examination and repeated illness, mild intermittent asthma. However, we do not have any family history of asthma. His last 6 months illness history and medication are attached here. Kindly go through it and reply to my queries. Based on the symptoms and background, can it be confirmed that my son is suffering from asthma? If it is asthma, is it the right course of medication in the initial stage? Do we need any other test for reconfirmation and start with essential medicines? Is it permanently curable? What are the dietary do and do not for asthmatic patients? Is there any other better means of treatment in ayurveda or homeopathy for complete treatment? Earlier he was advised 1 mL of Kidrich D3 (multivitamin) for 3 months. Can we continue this along with present medicines? What about routine vaccinations like polio drop, etc? Thanks and regards for your valuable advice.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Though your son is premature, it does not matter with the present illness. Let me first clear you that he is suffering from bronchial asthma. And anyone can have asthma without any family history. So, it is not necessary to be always run in families.

To confirm the diagnosis we do spirometry test in children over 6 years of age. But as your son is too young, he will not be able to perform the spirometry. So, we have to make diagnosis on clinical basis. There is no other way to confirm. Now, we have made a firm diagnosis of asthma.Regarding the treatment, nebulization medications are only to be used in emergency. Also, it is not advisable to use steroids syrup on long-term basis.

The best treatment for asthma to your son is using inhaler medicines with spacer. You start him on Budecort inhaler (Budesonide) 100 two puffs twice daily with Zerostat VT spacer. Both medicines are from Cipla company. Ask him to gargle after each use of inhaler. Multivitamin and cough syrup can be used as required. But stop Syrup Omnacortil (Prednisolone) by tapering the dose.

Use Asthalin nebulizer (Salbutamol) when required in emergency only and not daily. You can give him his vaccines even polio drops while on inhaler treatment. There is no problem in it. Last thing to clear you is that asthma is a life-long disease. We can only control the symptoms of asthma by taking inhaler medicines. It is an incurable disease.

In many children, asthma disappears as they grow, in many it remains the same and in some cases it gets worse with increasing age.At this step, no one can predict what will happen to his asthma ahead. So for time being, we must continue with the inhaler medicines.I have tried to give you overall idea about asthma as much possible after carefully reading the history. Please get back if you have any doubts.

The Probable causes:

Allergy to anything.

Treatment plan:

1. Inhaler medicines like Budecort 100 MDI (metered dose inhaler) 2 puffs twice daily with Zerostat-VT Spacer.
2. Asthalin MDI to be used as required.

Preventive measures:

Avoid dusts, cold liquids or ice creams.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest an alternate tablet for Montair LC.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old male. I have breathing problem for the past eight to 10 years. I develop breathing difficulty during the humid or warm seasons like July to September, for which I take Montair LC once every two days at night-time. Sometimes, if I forget and I experience breathlessnes...  Read Full »

I noticed some soap residue in my nebulizer while using it. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been using a Levalbuterol nebulizer for a cough. I accidentally had some soap residue left in the nebulizer, and I used it for a minute before realizing this. Should I be very concerned?  Read Full »

Is Levolin inhaler safe to use in kids?

Query: Hello doctor, My physician has always suggested Budecort 100 mcg for my kid for four years and Levolin inhaler along with Montair LC kids tablet daily and some cough syrup since he is allergic. He is having a dry cough and Altacef is given sometimes if worse. The doctor in...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pulmonologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.