Q. Can smoking cause high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and shortness of breath?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I suffered from bronchitis, four years ago. Since it got cured, I smoked cigarettes for two years and gradually stopped smoking. Recently, I have high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and I have shortness of breath. I started running 2 km daily. Why am I having all these symptoms?

#

• As you have a history of smoking, smoking-induced left ventricular hypertrophy, emphysema, bronchitis, pulmonary congestion, etc., can lead to such presentation.
  • You need to do the following investigations:
  1. Auscultation.
  2. Chest x-ray.
  3. 2D echocardiography or an EKG (electrocardiogram).
  4. To differentiate between smoking-induced COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and restrictive causes, pulmonary function test (PFT) can be done. Consult a pulmonologist for examination with keeping all this in mind
  • According to the cause, further specific treatment needs to be given. Strictly avoid smoking. For hypertension, you need to start taking medicines.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|