Q. Can smoking cause high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and shortness of breath?

Published on May 20, 2017

I suffered from bronchitis, four years ago. Since it got cured, I smoked cigarettes for two years and gradually stopped smoking. Recently, I have high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and I have shortness of breath. I started running 2 km daily. Why am I having all these symptoms?

Hematology Pathology
#

• As you have a history of smoking, smoking-induced left ventricular hypertrophy, emphysema, bronchitis, pulmonary congestion, etc., can lead to such presentation.
  • You need to do the following investigations:
  1. Auscultation.
  2. Chest x-ray.
  3. 2D echocardiography or an EKG (electrocardiogram).
  4. To differentiate between smoking-induced COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and restrictive causes, pulmonary function test (PFT) can be done. Consult a pulmonologist for examination with keeping all this in mind
  • According to the cause, further specific treatment needs to be given. Strictly avoid smoking. For hypertension, you need to start taking medicines.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you have stopped smoking. But, the withdrawal symptoms do not manifest as acidity. Although it can cause constipation, but not after a month of quitting. Your cholesterol levels are high and it is the cause for persistent GERD (gastroesophageal reflux dise...  Read Full

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article

Why CPVT is not evident on EKGs?

Query: Hi doctor, I understand that a resting EKG cannot show catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT). I had numerous EKGs and echoes and all were normal. I read that the stress test is the only way to diagnose CPVT. I have had major panic attacks during EKGs with heart rates up to 140...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. CPVT -¬†catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia¬†is a devastating condition and is usually found and detected on Holter monitor or on stress test if asymptomatic. In case of acute attack if a person has severe chest pain or syncope ...  Read Full

Ask a Pulmonologist Now