Q. Can machine-generated report of EKG be completely relied upon?

Dr. Ritendra Nath Talapatra
Published on Jan 17, 2018

I am a 41-year-old male. I have been elected for an EKG because I am a pilot and need a medical certificate. I have hypertension that is controlled easily with 10 mg Propranolol a day and 10 mg Lisinopril a day. My BP is 117/70 with 66 BPM. There are no symptoms of chest pain or shortness of breath ever. Yesterday during a routine visit I asked physicians assistant for a 12 lead EKG as I have heard it is a good thing to do. Never had any symptoms, slightly overweight, BP great with 10 mg of Propanolol and 10 mg of Lisinopril. I had an abnormal EKG and asked if I have ever experienced the symptoms of a heart attack? I have a copy of my EKG which is machine printed that reads "abnormal old anterior infarct." I have an appointment with a cardiologist but I am going crazy until next week. Should I be worried?

#

The interpretation you saw was a machine interpretation and they sometimes drive us crazy.

Your ECG (electrocardiogram) is absolutely fine.

However, get an ECG for a final confirmation.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Yes, I have a cardiology appointment in three days. You feel my cardiologist also will have the same opinion?

#

Yes, your ECG (electrocardiogram) is normal.

However, get an echocardiography done positively before the cardiologist visit as he will surely advise the same.

What does high deceleration time in echocardiogram indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had an echocardiogram. The results were normal, but the deceleration time is 439 ms. My doctor did not say anything about it while reviewing the results. But, I have subsequently learned that it is very prolonged. What should I do now?  Read Full »

What causes mood swings and feeling of depression?

Query: Hello doctor,I would appreciate if you can help me out. I am taking Propranolol 120 mg. I restarted after a short period of stopping it without the doctor's advice which was wrong of me could be just the side effects cause I feel low-high, low-high, basically, my mood keeps changing. What causes moo...  Read Full »