Q. Can I take 20 mg of Citalopram with 10 mg of Amitriptyline?

Dr. Aneel Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I currently am taking 20 mg of Citalopram (which I take in the morning, used for my anxiety) but recently my doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Amitriptyline (which I have not taken yet and it is used for sleeping). Anyways, what I wanted to ask was is it okay to take the 20 mg of Citalopram and 10 mg of Amitriptyline? Because whenever I read about it, it said not to take those prescriptions together.

#

Yes, you are right in this regard but clinically it is proven to give if patient's symptoms are resistant on medication but there are few options to try before prescribing this, and for sleep to prescribe Noncrystalline is not suitable decision, rather you can have Mirtazepine low dose which is suitable combination with any SSRI and has no drug interaction which you can search even, and you may need counseling to help to deal with your problems.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) 15 mg half tablet in the night.

|