Q. Can I take 20 mg of Citalopram with 10 mg of Amitriptyline?

Dr. Aneel Kumar
Published on Aug 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I currently am taking 20 mg of Citalopram (which I take in the morning, used for my anxiety) but recently my doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Amitriptyline (which I have not taken yet and it is used for sleeping). Anyways, what I wanted to ask was is it okay to take the 20 mg of Citalopram and 10 mg of Amitriptyline? Because whenever I read about it, it said not to take those prescriptions together.

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Psychiatry
#

Yes, you are right in this regard but clinically it is proven to give if patient's symptoms are resistant on medication but there are few options to try before prescribing this, and for sleep to prescribe Noncrystalline is not suitable decision, rather you can have Mirtazepine low dose which is suitable combination with any SSRI and has no drug interaction which you can search even, and you may need counseling to help to deal with your problems.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) 15 mg half tablet in the night.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take 10 mg of Citalopram twice daily instead of 20 mg once daily?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it fine and safe to take 10 mg of Citalopram twice daily instead of 20 mg of Citalopram once daily?  Read Full »