Cleft Palate

Is dental treatment required for all cleft palate surgeries?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Soft cleft palate means a submucus cleft of the soft palate. That means a midline defect of the muscles, which failed to completely join at the correct positions during development. But, the bony structure is sound. Many times speech problems are associated with the same....  Read Full »

Will my daughter speak properly after cleft palate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years 10 days old now. She has been detected with a soft cleft palate when she was 1.6 years old. The surgeon asked us to wait for a few months as she needed to be more healthier than the current scenario at that time. Now, we consulted the surgeon again and he said tha...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Kothari

Plastic Surgeon, Cosmetologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ideal time that we operate a cleft palate is 11 months. This is to improve speech outcome. If all parameters are normal, then the cleft palate can be corrected at this age too before speech develops. So, there is no need to worry.   Read Full »

How is forked uvula treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 1 year 5 months old. She has bifid uvula. Doctors observed her and said that she has to undergo surgery. As she is too young her doctor said we can do this at any time at any of her age. We are worried with the term surgery. I would like to know, is surgery the only optio...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bifid uvula alone is not uncommon and it does not require treatment unless it is causing problems like altered or difficulty in speaking, usually few words. But, let me tell you that not all children with bifid uvula have such problems. Most important is lesion which ca...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to repair soft cleft palate with surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is now 2 years old. She has been detected with a soft cleft palate six months back. As of now, she does not have issue while eating as well as hearing. She used to drink milk with normal milk bottle we are in the process of removing her habit of milk bottle. Our pediatrician ...  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern for your child. Usually, cleft palate is repaired at the age of 1 to 2 years. As your child has only soft cleft palate (less severe), the surgeon has delayed the timing of surgery. This surgery helps in proper development of speech, prevents from...  Read Full »

Do children with soft cleft palate also need multiple surgeries to fix the issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having one doubt in my mind. Previously, I read that all cleft palate children usually undergo multiple surgeries. Is this statement valid for the soft cleft palate as well? Children with soft cleft palate also need to undergo multiple surgeries? My child was having only soft cl...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Multiple surgeries in cleft palate children depend upon the extent of the cleft and the age of the child at the time of operation. Only cleft soft palate rarely need another surgery. But, it is quite often that there is an underlying defect of the hard pal...  Read Full »

My baby is 5 days old and is suffering from Pierre Robin syndrome.Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 5 days old and is suffering from Pierre Robin syndrome. Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pierre Robin syndrome consists of the following defects mostly:  Mandibular hypoplasia - retarded growth of the lower jaw. Cleft palate -  birth defect of the palate. Airway obstruction.  Kindly let us know what all defects your baby has at present and what all comp...  Read Full »

Can Pp26 and CC74 tablets prevent cleft lip and palate in fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an abortion before 10 days due to a major cleft lip and palate to the child. When can I start planning to conceive again? Can I take a Pp26 tablet and CC74 tablet before three months of pregnancy to prevent this defect? I have attached my report.  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is important to take the above folic acid supplement to prevent cleft palate and lip and also neurological defects in the fetus. Take three months before conception and continue throughout pregnancy. Good luck. For more information consult a childbirth educa...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have the uvula towards left side after cleft palate operation?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 2 years 3 months old. She had a soft cleft palate. The doctor operated her and closed the soft cleft palate. Now, we can see that her uvula is a little bit on the left side in the mouth and not at the center. We are worried about this. She already went with this surgery in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having uvula at one side is not at all a big issue. But, you should know a few things. Children with cleft lip or palate are usually operated at a very small age, usually at six months is the first surgery done, and this depends on the extent of deformity child has. All ...  Read Full »