Q. After cleft palate surgery, will my daughter speak properly?

Dr. Deepak Kothari
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 01, 2020

My daughter is 2 years 10 days old now. She has been detected with a soft cleft palate when she was 1.6 years old. The surgeon asked us to wait for a few months as she needed to be more healthier than the current scenario at that time. Now, we consulted the surgeon again and he said that my daughter can get a surgery now. But, we also checked with a few other surgeons as a second opinion and they questioned us for delaying the operation. They informed us that it should be done normally by around 6 months of age.

Are we really late for this surgery? As of now she speaks a few words, but it seems a few words are coming from her nose. Will she able to speak properly after surgery? Also, we are worried that whether she will speak or not. Is it too late for us to take her for surgery? Another surgeon has diagnosed her with a soft cleft palate and post hard palate. Will they handle both in same surgery? Please help us.

#

• Ideal time that we operate a cleft palate is 11 months. This is to improve speech outcome.

CBC (complete blood count).

Surgical correction.

For further information consult a plastic surgeon online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

Thank you very much for your time and valuable answer. I need clarification on below points as well. Will she able to speak properly after surgery? How many operation she need overall?

#

• Yes, she should talk well if done properly. However, there may be some nasal twang in the voice.
  • The entire palate (soft and hard) will get repaired in one setting.

For further information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

| 

Does my 2.6 months old daughter need surgery for a small gap in the soft palate?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2.6 months old daughter was born with a soft cleft palate and was operated when she was 2 years old. After the surgery, her speech has improved, and no solid food or water is coming out from her nose anymore. Rarely, just a single drop of milk comes out of her nose. Recently, I notice...  Read Full »

Do children with soft cleft palate also need multiple surgeries to fix the issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having one doubt in my mind. Previously, I read that all cleft palate children usually undergo multiple surgeries. Is this statement valid for the soft cleft palate as well? Children with soft cleft palate also need to undergo multiple surgeries? My child was having only soft cl...  Read Full »

Is dental treatment required for all cleft palate surgeries?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now