Q. What are the treatments for bifid uvula?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

My daughter is 1 year 5 months old. She has bifid uvula. Doctors observed her and said that she has to undergo surgery. As she is too young her doctor said we can do this at any time at any of her age. We are worried with the term surgery. I would like to know, is surgery the only option for her? Do we have any other alternative method to treat it? Doctor said that she can speak well but will have issues only while speaking some characters. How is this surgery? Will it be panic for baby or a simple one? Need your help. Thank you.

#

Bifid uvula alone is not uncommon and it does not require treatment unless it is causing problems like altered or difficulty in speaking, usually few words. But, let me tell you that not all children with bifid uvula have such problems. Most important is lesion which can co-exist with bifid uvula, like cleft palate and others.

I am sure that your doctor must have looked for those, and nothing must be there. So, nothing to worry about it as of now.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Just now I referred my doctor's prescription. In which, he was written as cleft palate (soft). Need your guidance on the same.

#

Cleft palate soft usually is associated with hard palate and lips. But, if it is only limited to soft palate, then treatment depends on how much it is affecting the life that is speech and language primarily.Usually soft palate clefts require surgery and not the uvula.

Your answers are very much relaxing; still I have some doubts. As of now my doctor only mentioned cleft palate (soft) on papers. They did not perform any test and they had written it after examining her mouth. As per your last update, you said treatment depends on how much it is affecting life. Is it mean that there is possibility that child will not have much impact on speech and language in some cases? Is there any method to try out for this (speech and language) before surgery? How critical is this surgery? Average how much time it takes? Is there any risk involved in it? Will there be any side effect after the surgery? Now our child is 1 year old. What will be the best age for her to get the surgery, if required? Please guide us.

#

Soft palate cleft is a clinical diagnosis and no test designed to confirm it.treatment is that cleft palate usually requires surgery, but question is when to operate. Parents and doctors both want surgery in adult rather child. But, if a few things are better intervened early and doctors will do it.Sometimes, treatment is decided by time. In your child, as doctor suggested when parents wish, I assume cleft is small. So, time of surgery will be decided by symptoms.Cleft lip or palate is pretty common; child may get operated as early as 6 months of age.

Most important deciding symptoms in your child will be swallowing, speech and language.Surgery is not a major one and may take 1 hour. Child may require therapy after surgery. So, better visit a speech language pathologist (SLP).

|