Q. My son has cold, runny nose and slight cough. Is he at risk of COVID-19?

Dr. Zubayeralam

My son is 13 years old. He has a runny nose and a mild cough but no fever. He had a slight pain in the throat and cold for the past three days. Now he has a mild cough from yesterday. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your son has been suffering from a runny nose, mild cough, throat ache, etc. Your son can take some medications like Azithromycin, Fexofenadine, Montelukast, and Acetaminophen or Paracetamol for relieving his present sufferings. He can do gargle with salt mixed with lukewarm water three to four times daily to reduce his throat ache.

Your son may take the following medications:-

1. Tablet Zithromax 250 mg 0+0-1 for 7-19 days.

2. Tablet Allegra (Fexofinadine) 60 mg 0+0+1 for 10 days.

3. Tablet Singulair 5 mg 0+0+1 for 14 days.

Hopefully, the above-mentioned medications will reduce your son's present sufferings.

I just want to ask if it is a concern for COVID-19?

#

Without investigations, it is difficult to predict whether it is COVID-19 or not. Seasonal flu may present with such type of clinical features. Again COVID-19 may also present with such features. In the case of asymptomatic positive patients, they may not show any clinical features.

Your son can undergo an antigen or antibody test for COVID-19 or RT PCR test. He can take the above-mentioned medications either he is positive or not. In the case of developing COVID-19 pneumonia, only antiviral medications should be added to the above-mentioned medications.

|