HomeAnswersGeneral PractitionercoldI have had a runny nose, sore throat, and fever for the past 5 days and need medications for cold relief. Please help.

What medications can be taken for cold relief?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 17, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 10, 2024

Patient's Query

I have had a runny nose and sore throat and felt hot for the past five days. I had a mild fever for two days. I took Panadol for two days and did salt water gargle, but the symptoms persist. I take blood pressure medication Minipress XL, Cardace 10 mg, and cholesterol medication Atorva 10 mg for early IgA kidney disease. I have benign prostrate stage one for which no medication is being taken. Will Sinarest help with the cold? Is it safe to take cold medication given my medical history? Please help.

I have read your query, and I can understand your concern.

This is an upper respiratory tract infection. Do not take Sinarest (Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide, and Menthol). I suggest the following tablets:

1. Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg twice daily after food for five days.

2. Tablet Deslor (Desloratadine) 5 mg at night for five days after food.

3. Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg twice daily for five days after food.

4. Tablet Vitamin C 500 mg twice daily for ten days after food.

Consult a specialist doctor and take these medications with their consent. Do not take any of the above medicines if you are allergic to them. Follow up immediately in case of an untoward reaction. Also, follow these measures:

1. Drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated.

2. Avoid drinking cold fluids.

3. Avoid spicy food.

4. Avoid food with a lot of oil and butter.

The symptoms might take two to three days to get better. If symptoms do not reduce, then antibiotics will be required.

I hope this information will help you. Please revert in case of further queries.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan
Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

coldsore throat

Ask your health query to a doctor online

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy