Communicable Disease

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A chest x-ray is a routine part of any pre-employment checkup. Your query regarding reporting of x-ray as bilateral inhomogeneous opacities suggests old or active infection most probably tuberculosis. So, it is advisable to do sputum AFB test (acid-fast bacilli) to rul...  Read Full »

Is CNS tuberculosis a communicable disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old male, and I met my uncle in the ICU today, who is suffering from central nervous system tuberculosis. I met him for ten minutes, and I talked and shook hands. Now, I am worried about getting infected from him. Is CNS tuberculosis a communicable disease? What are the cha...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Central nervous system tuberculosis as such cannot be transmitted to a healthy young male like you. Pulmonary tuberculosis is a communicable disease. It is very unlikely to get the disease. Do not worry. For further queries consult a general medicine physician online --&g...  Read Full »