Q. Is CNS tuberculosis a communicable disease?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 29, 2021

I am a 34 year old male, and I met my uncle in the ICU today, who is suffering from central nervous system tuberculosis. I met him for ten minutes, and I talked and shook hands. Now, I am worried about getting infected from him. Is CNS tuberculosis a communicable disease? What are the chances of me being infected? Please help me.

#

• Central nervous system tuberculosis as such cannot be transmitted to a healthy young male like you.
  • Pulmonary tuberculosis is a communicable disease. It is very unlikely to get the disease. Do not worry.

For further queries consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I forgot to mention that initially he was diagnosed with pneumonia, and later a CT and MRI concluded it as CNS TB. So, probably he might have had a lung infection.

#

• It might probably be lung infection also. But do not worry as you are very active young male, there is no chance of acquiring the disease. Be cool and confident.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|